Mongoose Dolomite - With Sickbikeparts Shift Kit. Problems, Problems and More Problems. Time To Give Up.

yuckfoo

Local time
6:39 AM
Without a machine shop to make my own parts I don't know how I'm going to complete this build. If anyone has managed to complete this build without cutting and welding the frame or making custom parts in a machine shop I'd love to hear your tips. I've made some spacers for the U-bolts of the shift kit mount to move the motor forward enough so that the 17 tooth gear doesn't hit the tire, but that leaves no room to mount the exhaust side of the engine. I've filed the case down at the exhaust end motor mount as much as I dare but there is now way to fit one of those 4 hole mounting plates. the only thing that fits is the curved engine kit mount. But that won't work because the down tube is 1.7 mm too wide to allow the studs to go into the motor.

Perhaps I'll abandon the shift kit and finish the build without it. But I have disc brakes. I'd have to replace my rear disk brake.

Alas, some bikes aren't suitable for motorization, unless you have a shop where you can cut, hammer, grind and weld. Sell that bike and find a more suitable bike.

Arc welders are fairly cheep. You can get a Harbor Freight side grinder fairly cheap and a grinding disc. Wen is a very useful rotary tool. It doesn't matter what bike you work on. Start building a good selection of tools.

Arc welders are fairly cheep. You can get a Harbor Freight side grinder fairly cheap and a grinding disc. Wen is a very useful rotary tool. It doesn't matter what bike you work on. Start building a good selection of tools.
It's very hard to grind and weld when you live in an apartment. Landlords shun that sort of thing.

Not really. You don't choose to live in a house instead of an apartment just because you want to work on your bicycle.
Well since my bike is my main source of transportation, I'm not going to live somewhere I'm not allowed to work on it. With these bikes a breakdown is inevitable. So at some point you're going to have to work on them.

Like I said for whatever reason if you're free then where you choose to live is your choice.

Last edited:
Well since my bike is my main source of transportation, I'm not going to live somewhere I'm not allowed to work on it. With these bikes a breakdown is inevitable. So at some point you're going to have to work on them.

Like I said for whatever reason if you're free then where you choose to live is your choice.
Jerry, economics plays a huge part in it. I bet there are a lot of young people that would love to live in a house with a garage and all that, but they don't make a lot of money to be able to afford it. Some are lucky to have car to get to work, I rode the bus to work for years before I got a car. Others are lucky to have a bike to put a motor on.

I'm on a fixed income. I make less than 1/4 of what I made before becoming disabled. I don't have a car at all. My bike is my transportation. An apartment would cost 2-3 times what I'm paying in rent for a house. Now granted I live in a small town around 5000. One can always move to a location where rent is cheaper. Got to love our small towns.

One can always move to a location where rent is cheaper. Got to love our small towns.
Thats why i moved to Alamogordo, NM when i was forceably retired due to my health 10 years ago...Could no longer afford living in New Hampshire or anywhere in New England for that matter on Social Security...It costs one third here in "Alamo" to live than what it cost me back east...Even utilities are cheaper by a long shot...my highest electrical in 10 years was 50 dollars for a month, same for the gas bill and im cooking and heating with gas...50 bucks was the most expensive...DAMIEN

Last edited:
Back