Mongoose Malus BBR - 2 stroke / Sick Bike - shift kit

Fishfiles

Local time
6:45 PM
Hi to all , I'm new here to the forum and thanks for having me ! Hope I can contribute and gets some info ... I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and my main hobbies besides fishing is building and riding 4 wheelers , I am into the old school Honda 300s and 450s , if any of you'll into 4 wheelers and mud riding , I hang out at ATVHonda.com ---- newest hobby is motorized bicycles , it is addictive

I am starting on my second motorized bike build , my first build is a E-zip electric bike that the electric took a dump , the E-Zip frame and wheels are heavy duty and I hated to let the bike go , so I converted it to a 2 stroke , I'd say that build is a success , it runs great and is fun to ride , but I live rural and there are a lot of dirt roads and I wanted something more suited for it , a motor cross bicycle for say , LOL -----

So I am starting a Mongoose Malus big tire bike build , just got the BBR 2 stroke stage 4 engine kit and a Sick Bike shift kit in the mail ---- I thought I did a lot of research on it , but apparently not , as right off the bat , the crank bracket insert that accompanied the kit seems not the right size as the Mongoose has a very wide crank bracket to start with

So my questions are about setting up the crank for the Sick Bike shift kit , any links to threads or videos would be greatly appreciated

Here are some pic of my E-Zip ---- and the new project a Mongoose Malus which I got from a flea market for $100 , the guy wanted $200 for it and after he didn't sell it for 2 weeks he took a $100 , think I got a good deal
GU0gXFKhQOyb7A3U+METXA.jpg

Attachments

• 9mmXBUfYQMSxk8353NFJvQ.jpg
    9mmXBUfYQMSxk8353NFJvQ.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 319
Here is a link to my thread of my E-Zip build if anyone is interested , there are a lot of pics of other motorized bikes in the thread

That pic of my Mongoose above didn't come out too well , here is a generic pic of the Mongoose
1617193657134.png

Welcome Fishfiles, nice bike in the OP and excellent craftsmanship. I've never owned a fat tire bike, the sparsely spaced knobbies seem they'd wear out fast. Do they? On the bike in the OP those 2 wire bottle holders do they hold up if full of fluid/fuel? I tried that setup and one 40mi ride that setup didn't last. Fuel bottle had a hole rubbed in it and the wire holder bracket broke. I found I needed a beefier holder and velcro straps to properly secure the bottle. Also needed a more sturdy fuel can that wasn't like a beer can. What are your thoughts. You'll fit in here nicely with your experience and knowledge.

If I Bing "sick bike parts videos" a whole bunch of vids pop up to choose from.

Thanks Darwin , this is my first big tire bike I have had , so I don't know about tire wear yet --------- the bottle holder is holding up well , one is a water bottle , the other is a tool container tube full of tools , it is something I pieced together onto the battery rack of the E-Zip

I never thought about a extra fuel container before , I really don't think I could run it out of fuel in a day if I tried

I have looked at a lot of videos so far just never found the right one yet

Here is a pic of the bottle rack ---I like your idea of a Velcro strap or maybe a bumgy cord for added protection
1617197293831.png

If you plan to ride dirt roads the fat tires will take some of the impact away. You should however get an adjustable suspension seat post. You can also buy fat tire suspension forks. Your body will thank you for doing so. Here's a thread I did on building a 4 speed freewheel. Many of the complaints SBP shift kit builders have is the ratios are too close together and the wear caused by cross chaining. The 4 speed freewheel reduces both of the issues tremendously.

Thread '4 Speed Freewheel' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/4-speed-freewheel.58615/

Last edited:
If you plan to ride dirt roads the fat tires will take some of the impact away. You should however get an adjustable suspension seat post. You can also buy fat tire suspension forks. Your body will thank you for doing so. Here's a thread I did on building a 4 speed freewheel. Many of the complaints SBP shift kit builders have is the ratios are too close together and the wear caused by cross chaining. The 4 speed freewheel reduces both of the issues tremendously.

Thread '4 Speed Freewheel' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/4-speed-freewheel.58615/
Thanks , cool build there ^^^^ ------ I have seen people's shift kit build videos , where they shifted two gears at a time , as one gear is too little of a difference --- the Malus is a 7 speed , figure 1/3/5/7 , it will be a 4 speed in reality

Funny you brought up about the spring seat post , I just had to take on off my wife's Schwinn as she wanted the seat lower and the shock prevented it from going any lower , her legs must have shrunk , cause it was OK last year

So what you think is real the purpose of all the holes in the rims with the tube's inner flap sticking thru , was thinking it is a form of shock absorption , or could just be a weight thing , but you really ain't talking much weight there

Really wouldn't know about the holes in the fat tire rim. Fat tires are a loose dirt/soft sand bike design. As for your wife's suspension seat post, was it an adjustable tension seat post? Was the frame too big for her?

This calculator will tell you the ideal frame geometry for your particular body if you could have a custom built frame made. Therefore one should try to get a manufactured frame that's as close as possible to what would be your ideal frame geometry for your particular body build.

Thanks for that fitment chart , bookmarked it and will play around with it , maybe tonight when she gets home

Yes , her shock seat post is adjustable , and couldn't go down no farther , she is loco , she rode this bike for 10 years now and it was always ok , first ride this year she was complaining it was too high ------- she is hooked up now , had to get a bushing for the seat post as I had another aluminum seat post that was a little off on diameter ----- just tried her post in my Malus and I need a bushing also , shouldn't be any problem they are about $6 , this one needs to be 27.2- 28.6 mm ----- thanks for bringing up the seat post , going to see if that size is available right now

We are lucky to have a cool place to ride , we live in Lacombe , Louisiana and the St Tammany Trace is one block from our house , it is a bike , walking and horse trail that runs like 54 miles now , they are constantly adding to it , it was a really old abandoned railroad track that they asphalted over the bed , most of it is like going thru a tunnel of trees and that's whats cool about it , temps are always cooler under the trees , it gets hot here in the summer , but no motorized vehicles allowed on the trace
fullsizeoutput_e6d.jpeg

Hi to all , I'm new here to the forum and thanks for having me ! Hope I can contribute and gets some info ... I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade and my main hobbies besides fishing is building and riding 4 wheelers , I am into the old school Honda 300s and 450s , if any of you'll into 4 wheelers and mud riding , I hang out at ATVHonda.com ---- newest hobby is motorized bicycles , it is addictive

I am starting on my second motorized bike build , my first build is a E-zip electric bike that the electric took a dump , the E-Zip frame and wheels are heavy duty and I hated to let the bike go , so I converted it to a 2 stroke , I'd say that build is a success , it runs great and is fun to ride , but I live rural and there are a lot of dirt roads and I wanted something more suited for it , a motor cross bicycle for say , LOL -----

So I am starting a Mongoose Malus big tire bike build , just got the BBR 2 stroke stage 4 engine kit and a Sick Bike shift kit in the mail ---- I thought I did a lot of research on it , but apparently not , as right off the bat , the crank bracket insert that accompanied the kit seems not the right size as the Mongoose has a very wide crank bracket to start with

So my questions are about setting up the crank for the Sick Bike shift kit , any links to threads or videos would be greatly appreciated

Here are some pic of my E-Zip ---- and the new project a Mongoose Malus which I got from a flea market for $100 , the guy wanted $200 for it and after he didn't sell it for 2 weeks he took a $100 , think I got a good deal
View attachment 104348
It sounds like your bottom bracket cartridge or spindle is to short. If you email Jim at sickbikeparts and tell him what you have and what you're doing he will make sure you get the right part. Sickbikeparts is very knowledgeable And is very quick to respond. They have excellent customer service and know what they are doing and talking about.

Back