Montana motorbiker wannabe

MTblueslover

Local time
10:14 AM
Hi All.

First of all, I've been reading this blog for several days now, and I enjoy the type of people out here, so it's very nice to meet you!

Here's my blip: I'm from Montana, and live about 14 miles from town. My main reason for a MB is for travel to and from the job and to enjoy more time outside. Because I'm scared spitless of the nasty driving tactics of motor vehicles, I'm looking to ride the wagon trail/cow path off in the barrow pit instead of the shoulder of the highway, which I would have to travel 9 miles until I get to slower, hopefully less risky, town streets.

It doesn't matter to me if I need to slow down and take a bit longer. I enjoy pedaling, but the wind hauls butt out here, and although I enjoy the great rockie mountain air in my face, I also want to be able to make it home ~ gusts of 35-40 mph in the afternoon is frequent from any and all directions, so I'd sure like the help while I'm pedaling away.

I've been researching power assist bicycles for about the last year and am trying to decide which way to go. I love the idea of electric, but frankly, the minimal battery range and expense for what a person gets isn't in line for what I need at this time, so I've at least decided on fuel assist. I hit the "noobee" post, which was very helpful. However, I'm still having an issue deciding which set up to invest in.

I read the friction wheels don't do well in sand, gravel and muddy areas, so I'm thinking that's not an option for the cattle path scenario unless one of you seasoned folks have some other practical advice. (friendly hint, hint) Dimension Edge I read about is just down the road a few hours in Billings. I sure like the idea of purchasing a motor that can serviced, and that it's a company here in my neck of the woods, but... they do use the friction roller idea.

Can I still get a little help and have less speed if that's what I need? I mean, it isn't all or nothing is it? (sorry, I don't mean to be a dunce) I read quite a bit on folks trying to get them faster but haven't stumbled upon those who might need more of a plow horse use. Has anyone used these bikes on forest service roads and such "dirt" fun? I definitely need whichever setup can deal with dirt roads, because of wanting to travel the safer dirt trail on the way to work and to deal with getting to my house once off the main road. Yes, I hear John Denver singing, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy (girl in my case). ha ha ha!

I appreciate anyone's advice and insight.

I'm not even close to having a MB in my hands, but I'm at least dreaming of getting on that MB and riding in the very near future!

Nite, All!

Lisa

howdy blue and welcome to a good place. my recommendation would be the golden eagle bike engine kit a sturdy big tired comfort bike with the robin engine.

Well first thing I got to say is that friction drive works great in dirt, sand, and mud. I ride all the time off the road. I am young and do enjoy mountain biking alot, with or without a engine. The varied conditions you are talking about are excactly why DE(Dimension Edge) carries 3 different types of rollers, for the different conditions. DE has been selling the same friction drive design for almost 20 years now, We've pretty much got'er figured out. (If only I could convince my father(Owner of DE) to spend a little $ on advertising).

As far as having low speed power is concerned. Almost all manufacturers offer or include various gearing options and automatic centrifugal clutch assemblies(meaning they can move the bike by just applying the throttle). Both GEBE(Golden Eagle) and DE are designed to allow the rider to change gear ratios in under a minute. Other systems usually require more tooling. Staton offers an expensive and very heavy Continuously Variable Transmission(CVT) chain drive kit that you can constantly keep the engine in its power band regardless of your speed. IMHO, I think statons gearbox is very well built, but beacuse of its weight and Montanas very bumpy terrain, I think you would have alot of issues with keeping the chain. All these systems are great its just figuring out what you think will work best.

I could go on alot more about this but I dont have too much time, But i could go on for hours. I hope I helped some.

Mac

By the way, I have rode on all the systems I mentioned above, Obviously mostly DE. I did ride a chain drive simalar to the jack shaft design with the engine in the frame of the bike using Staton's gearbox. I built it in 2004 and used it every day for couple months on a Giant Stiletto chopper bike until my rear hub gave out on me(I put alot of miles[over 1500] on it and had a 7 speed internal hub). If anyone cares I can post a pic of it later. And I have riden a couple of other people GEBE systems, all with smaller engines though(robin subaru or tanake 32). They are all good sytems and I just felt I should cite what I have experience with.

Of course I cant believe I forgot. Welcome to the MBc boards. If you havn't already figured it out there are tons of great people and good information here. Enjoy

Thanks for the advice

Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions. And I wholeheartedly agree, this is a terrific place to be! People of all walks are very helpful and respectful to one another. I appreciate that. A little harmony goes a long way.

I'm glad to hear DE has the "edge" on the friction rollers in dirt. I was hoping there was some hope in that application. Rough roads, dirt roads along with a good deal of dirt ON paved roads are everywhere in Montana. I will definitely contact you guys for more information. Thank you!

I am trying to research as many setups as I can to make the best educated guess. My husband, who isn't buying into this zany idea of mine (yet), would be my personal mechanic for the major stuff. I don't want to get a setup that's a maintenance nightmare or an engine that dies young or is tough to find parts for. Lucky for me, he's a small engine whiz. I just don't want to be a burden to him because of my whim. On the other hand, since this woman does his laundry and cooks his meals, I think it's a fair trade! :unsure: As it seems there's a majority of men posting at this site... I won't take a poll. ha ha ha!

Thanks again. Have a blue bird day all!

I battled that wind for 2 weeks in 2006 on a GEBE with the discontinued Zenoah 25cc, the smallest available....with a basket full of camping gear.

The GEBE w/ Tanaka 33 or the R/S 35 (it cranks sooooooo easily, which I recommend on my ladies bikes) could handle that wind, and esp. using the lowest belt drive gears, the "mountain" ones.

Back