Moon Dog Fender Problem. BEWARE!!!

Get some 1/8x3/4in stock aluminum and bend it to match the bottom curve of the fenders. Sand, epoxy or rtv silicone and drill for extra rigid fenders. I've never done this myself but I would bet its easily done and would solidify the whole fender and make it much more resistant to breaking or bending. The only issue I could see coming from this would be tire clearance depending on how they're mounted.

too easy!

Picture's speak louder than words, so here you go:
What I did: I took a piece of chrome bar stock I had, and made an "L" bracket that I mounted on the front side of the fender support. When looking at the pic's, you will notice I made sure to keep the mounting location at the bolt to the frame very thick since that is the break point location of the stock fender mount.
The bracket is 1" high and 1" wide on the fender. You do not want to exceed 1" because there is a lip on the fender that is raised, and you want to be flush to the fender. c-pic.
I used a 13/64" drill bit, and elongated the hole a little bit to allow for a perfect fit.
The distance from the fender mount to the custom mount is 1 1/4" - (c-pic with measuring tape)
I deflated the tire, pushed down on it, and was able to roll the new mount already secured to the fender under the frame to it's front mounting position with no problems at all.
I thought I would need to grind down the back side of the bolt I used to mount the bracket, but it has plenty of clearance. - c pic - (if you magnify this one, you can kinda see the screw head under the fender)
Notice, all bolts are secured with nyloc nuts. I highly advise you do this.
I could always paint the mount black to blend it in, but I think I like it chrome better. It looks good w/ the brake assembly.
Final result: looks like it was meant to be there:D

Fast, easy and no more worries!!

Troy Fitz.

Attachments

• Troy's bike file_7.jpg
    Troy's bike file_7.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 168
  • Troy's bike file_34.jpg
    Troy's bike file_34.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Troy's bike file_35.jpg
    Troy's bike file_35.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Troy's bike file_38.jpg
    Troy's bike file_38.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Troy's bike file_37.jpg
    Troy's bike file_37.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 175
  • Troy's bike file_41.jpg
    Troy's bike file_41.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited by a moderator:
ALAN: - thanks.

Yeah, I felt secure w/ my nyloc's also UNTIL, this thread finally detailed the actual break location. I knew it was the bracket, but could never find out the exact spot - until now.
The time it took to do this simple mod was well worth the security I now have in my bike's safety and ride-ability.

Troy Fitz.

Last edited:
Now I gotta find time to do mine.
I'm thinking maybe, "L" bracket and original bracket together, one clad over the other, for a nice double thick bracket.
Either way, I wouldn't worry about it failing anytime soon. The other weak spot is the seat clamp. The welds are garbage on mine. Every time I adjust my seat, I cringe when tightening the quick release lever. A good bolt clamp would be better. Especially since we have nice seats, that can be stolen with the flip of a lever.

I guess these fenders are notorious for breaking, i've read probably 20 different posts saying be careful with them.

I think a guy on here, Carrot, says he runs his fenders slightly loose, with threadlocker on the bolts, so the bolts arent tight enough to crack the metal...

A rubber washer would probably also help to absorb the vibration.

(Edited: I just saw the posts about Nylon washers, my bad.)

I never run fenders for this exact reason. If I buy a bike that comes with fenders, first thing I do is remove and toss. They look stupid anyway.

Back