Moon Dog Fender Problem. BEWARE!!!

Firemarshal

Local time
7:47 PM
I wanted to pass on a possible Moon Dog fender problem. Today was my maiden voyage to work on my new Moon Dog 80cc motor bicycle. The 14 mile ride in was great, the ride home was not.
The top mount for the front fender broke. I'm guessing the vibration broke cheap metal. The fender then dropped catching the tread of the tire locking it up and sending me over the handlebars somewhere between 15 and 20mph. I lucked out with minor road rash, but broke the clutch lever and bent the pedal arm. I was able to take the fender off and get the bike started t get me the last 7 miles home, but not after hurting my pride and my bike.
I checked all fasteners multiple times, but the break was right aross the middle of the mounting hole. Please check yours so you don't go for a flight like I did.

Also I now need a lutch handle. Any one have one for cheap $$?

Thanks
Firemarshal

I wish I had read those earlier! I have to say it was a You Tube worthy! I even had a witness although I don't know who it was. It felt like slow motion and I knew when the fender dropped I was going for a ride. Up and over. Tucked my head and shoulder in and rolled like a rag doll. It actually helped as I rally got minimal rash but will probably be a little sore tomorrow.
Although the bike is a blast I am selling it to a family member for their camp. The risks outweigh the benefits at this point. Was fun while it lasted.
Ride Safe!

I guess these fenders are notorious for breaking, i've read probably 20 different posts saying be careful with them.

I think a guy on here, Carrot, says he runs his fenders slightly loose, with threadlocker on the bolts, so the bolts arent tight enough to crack the metal...

Yeah, I've since found multiple threads since. I took it off and threw it in the ditch to get home. I emailed custmer service at Pacific Cycles. They'll probably say something like "Our bikes aren;t intended for such use", but thought they ought to know their product is hurting people who are looking for a little fun and gas savings.

Mine kept coming loose and after I heard all the horror stories about the front fender I took mine off. I'm glad that you were not hurt too bad. It could have been a lot worse. I'm glad that I took mine off... and you just reminded me how glad. Hang in there man... things will get better.

I guess these fenders are notorious for breaking, i've read probably 20 different posts saying be careful with them.
all true

I think a guy on here, Carrot, says he runs his fenders slightly loose, with threadlocker on the bolts, so the bolts arent tight enough to crack the metal...
I don't think that will be suitable.
it's the vibration that cracks the metal...(looser = more room to vibrate)
use stonger metal, or....
take the dang fender off.

I have nylon washers, but I think A small L bracket would be the more permanent solution. Even fenderless.

Good thing you weren't hurt worse. :eek:

Last edited:
I built one for my boss (Friend). Good ole boy Cranbrook it is. and He came back with some nasty road rash Said the fender mount couldnt take the vibration. He was Cruisin up his road looked over seen his neighbor neighbor looked up by the time he looked up to see my boss my boss was out of sight and he should of been able to see him for quite some distance so he walked up to the road where my boss was and seen that he'd got in a wreck. Hey them were some nasty road rash. Needless to say he went Plastic after that. Oh yeah he went put a new wheel on and fenderless went on a treck anyway. Thats cool there. I felt bad. There was a Cranbrook that was recalled due to the handle bars loosening up but the fender mount? Dang. Shoot feeling Dang ole' Real bad just by talkin about it. CRANBROOK FENDERS NEED TO COME OFF AND EVALUATE BRACKETS! PLEASE!

wow - sorry to hear about your accident. I think I am taking mine off and putting on some plastic mountain bike ones I saw for sale the other day. I go too fast down my hill to work everyday to have to worry about something like that. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure it will sway some opinions to remove them.

Troy Fitz.

Back