Moped

D

davidsis

Hey, could a loop hole be that Our bikes, the ones with 2stroke engines, be that you have to pedal them to make them go?

Moped Defintion
Any motor driven cycle with an engine not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters (3.05 cubic inches), or two brake horsepower, that can propel the cycle at a speed not to exceed 30 miles per hour (MPH) and does not require clutching or shifting. The cycle may be equipped with two or three wheels and with or without foot pedals to allow for human muscular propulsion.

This is for the state of GEORGIA

davidsis - here is what the Idaho Statues say:

8.) "Moped" means a limited-speed motor-driven cycle having both
motorized and pedal propulsion that is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed in excess of thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground, whether two (2) or three (3) wheels are in contact with the ground during operation. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement shall not exceed fifty (50) cubic centimeters and the moped shall have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.

9.) "Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor and moped.
Judging by that, I suspected that Idaho law has a loophole for a "motorized bicycle," so I wrote the DMV for more information (I also attached a picture of my bike for their reference). Basically, they told me that a motorized bicycle does not count as a moped or motorcycle, but that definition was up to each local law enforcement agency. They suggested the said motorized bike should comply with the moped laws above, and if all rules of the road are followed, one might not have any problems.

In other words, it's such a grey area, and the law does not specify any provisions for "motorized bicycles". Also such that if I get pulled over, the cop could give me a ticket for no reason whatsoever, and they can fine me for any amount they want.

When I first found out about these things, and before I built one, I called around to several scooter shops, and after describing a "motorized bicycle," most of them said, "Those things are illegal! But you gotta come down and check out our newest scooters we just got in...." Whatever.

So for me, no problems yet! 8)

Every state has its own definitions of vehicles.
Obviously a lot ofthese closely agree (such as for cars) but for mopeds, it's all over the place.

In IL, I was told by the DMV that a motorized bicycle cannot be registered as a moped at all, because the only vehicles that can be registered as motor vehicles are those that were declared as motor vehicles with the federal gov't when they were manufactured--and if that was done, then they'd have a standard 17-digit VIN#, like cars and motorcycles have. ...Since bicycles don't have a federal VIN#, you cannot register them as motor vehicles at all in IL, even if you want to.

Email the sec of state in your own state to find out.
~

Which leads us right back to the "motor assisted bicycle" category, for "legal purposes".

Two seperate items, with the "bike" being the main element, non-insurable, and having the ability to go where "bikes" go (bike racks, bike paths, on some sidewalks to park in front of businesses).

A moped can only be one thing, transportation,and if not running it is pushed.

A motorized bike is "two things", trans. and exercise, and the one we want to emphasize on for legal purposes is the bicycle.

Back