More chain woes...

hargie12

Local time
4:00 PM
I am a newbie and decided to join today because my frustration level with my chain couldn't get any higher. I just recently bought a kings motor bike "80cc" and everything was well but the chain was starting to stretch a bit. I decided to take my grinder pop the teats of one link and magically my chain is 2 links short. No big deal I thought...got to be a somewhat normal chain right? My goodness I have been to Lowes, Homedepot, every parts store in town, a specialty ATV fun sports store etc. I've tried the 415 master link ( double master link because of my error) and it pops on the tensioner everytime. I have tried the metric 08 b1 and I have tried plain single speed bike chain. You guys are the pros please help me out. I know the suppliers don't want us to know this stuff so they can charge 8$ for a master link or 25for a new chain...so any help would be appreciated
Thank you,
Hank

I am a newbie and decided to join today because my frustration level with my chain couldn't get any higher. I just recently bought a kings motor bike "80cc" and everything was well but the chain was starting to stretch a bit. I decided to take my grinder pop the teats of one link and magically my chain is 2 links short. No big deal I thought...got to be a somewhat normal chain right? My goodness I have been to Lowes, Homedepot, every parts store in town, a specialty ATV fun sports store etc. I've tried the 415 master link ( double master link because of my error) and it pops on the tensioner everytime. I have tried the metric 08 b1 and I have tried plain single speed bike chain. You guys are the pros please help me out. I know the suppliers don't want us to know this stuff so they can charge 8$ for a master link or 25for a new chain...so any help would be appreciated
Thank you,
Hank
Hi Hank on the top of the page upper right is the search bar...type in anyword for search and it will bring up all the posts with that word in it so keep it short...try this and there will be others that come by to help... http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=3743&highlight=chain+problems hope this helps some? good luck

Word to the wise- when removing links, don't grind the pin. Just drive it out with a small nailset or punch. If you need to replace it, just drive the pin back in and peen the end. It will hold fine.

As for the 415, it is an oddball- some small engine shops may be able to order it, but none I know of stocks it. The bike engine vendors carry them pretty reasonably. Some people here have used BMX chain to replace the 415. Look here for more guidance:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7971&highlight=KMC+Extreme+Freestyle+Chain

OK... The 415 regular is too wide and the 415H ( bmx freestyle chain) wont fit on the drive sprocket. Am I the only one who has encountered this problem?

Chain problems

please help I went 6mo no problem since then I can not keep my chain on and when it pops it gets caught up in the wheel causing an immediate stop and very dangerous, I never know how to post on this site, but anyone with info please email me at Dpheatt66@yahoo.com. Tips to make chain work or problems to look for. tensioner sometimes gets for into spokes.why I dont know cahin is definetly not aliegned with moter and sprocket.

OK let me reiterate that I have tried the 415 (too wide pops on tensioner wheel) the 415H ( BMX and the "KMC K910 Kool ChainXtreme Freestyle" ) and nothing will clear the drive sprocket. There is a 1mm difference between inside roller to roller and I'll be ****ed if that isn't stopping me. I appreciate the help here but it seems I have a 1 of 1 sprocket set. How ridiculous is this!

Last edited:
who did you buy the engine from...do they sell chains?
I have seen 2 different width drive sprockets, but the bmx fit the narrow, and the wide fit the thick one

(Dax sells 2 different sizes I believe)

Hey guys,

I bought the kit form kings motor sports...
I wanted to let you know that I have tried almost every avenue to get this fixed but someone suggested that I go master linkless. I had some old links from my initial sizing and did some work with a chain breaker and managed to put the extra links back on without using the master. I am now going to just buy the "inflated" parts from the supplier, it's not worth the hassle. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help and to those who even took a peek to try.

Hank

Back