More on quiet

Kerf, how are you liking the performance aspect of that lastest 2 stroke muffler design after using it for a while? (other than the loose bracket bolts:D)

Reason for asking is I've been tinkering with retro-fitting a silencer after the Mits stock muffler using mostly available components like the O2 cylinder and plumbing parts. I'm not liking too much what I've come up with so far. I can muffle the exhaust noise but really sacrifice engine performance, mostly top end, and so end up opening up and drilling out the internals to where I get performance gains but end up back close to the same noise levels.
I understand there will be some trade-offs on this, just looking for balance to knock down some of the 2-stroke scream without losing too much performance.

Also wanted to ask if you think there is risk to engine damage by holding heat in the cyclinder head?

I lost about 6 MPH on top end but it still runs 40. It seems to be a little better midrange. Should pose no issue to the engine, just watch plug color.

i just recently got my hands on a almost new mits tl43 which i fired up today.

All i can say compared to my regular ride which has the tanaka 33 this baby is like a mouse its so much quieter especially when idiling, me thinks i will like this one alot....

I should have a honda 50cc 4 stroke by the end of the week, now that will be interesting to compare against the 2 strokes.

Yeah vegaspaddy, that's a big part of my reason for wanting to quiet the 2 stroke down....I have a now well broken in and very smooooth running Robin 35....very quiet at speed and at idle barely audible.

I know it's a different animal with a different range of exhaust pitch but I'm searching for a solution to take some of the edge off the higher pitch 2 stroke note.

Power my man, all about power. Wife an I just got back from a very short 15 mile ride. Toward the end is a long fairly steep hill, wife and I were together at the bottom with me in the lead. As I hit the hill I brought her up to 35 but didn't go WOT until the hill loaded the 460 up. At the top I'm going 30 with my wife two blocks behind on the TLE43. Being a gentleman, I pulled over and waited.

A buddy of mine stopped by yesterday on his Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter.
That thing is really quiet for a 2 stroke, I'd like to know how they get that to purr with about the same low pitch exhaust note as a stock Robin 35, however he declined my offer to open up his muffler.

Back