More steam engine ideas

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
9:07 AM
In a single cylinder steam engine a slide valve lets air or steam into the cylinder. If the slide valve was deleted and an electric solenoid was added instead I wonder if it would increase the steam engine's power. I have heard 45 percent cutoff is a good setup. A hall sensor and magnet could actuate the solenoid at proper timing. I also wonder if there's a way to reuse exhaust air or steam to push at the flywheel at a certain angle. Kind of like a leaf blower impeller on the flywheel. Then after that possibly a condenser. I'd like to build a steam engine rated at 2hp for a motorcycle or steam powered moped that is efficient enough for most people. Possibly with solenoid valve to let steam in. Also I wonder if steam oil or machining fluid can be used as a lubricant or even have channels that allow lubricant to flow through the 2 main bearings inside the block using a mechanical chainsaw oil pump. A fixed line could lubricate the rod and crank where they connect if it has enough pressure. Most steam engines I've seen are open crankcase with visible rod and crank. Ideas? Which parts should be resistant to corrosion obviously the cylinder made of some type of bronze perhaps aluminum bronze. I'm also thinking ceramic bearings. Does anyone know any engineering type forums or steam forums I can talk about this?

Last edited:
Back