more total noobe questions... clutches

scotts

Local time
9:23 AM
So I'm still looking at the rear mount kit from bicycle-engines.
A centrifugal clutch does not need a lever on the handle bar... Right?
If you don't have a centrifugal clutch and have the extra lever on the handlebar you will need the two brakes/one lever thing... right?
The kit I'm looking at has an "engager lever", so whats this?
I'm hoping to leave the bike as stock as possible by keeping both shift levers and hopefully both brake levers. It seems this is not going to be very possible.
thanks,
scott

So I think I'm figuring it out. So the real question now is, how do I fit it all onto my handlebar? I can see why people remove the front derailer, it gets rid of one thing on the handlebar (and is probably not needed anyway).
Scott

So I think I'm figuring it out. So the real question now is, how do I fit it all onto my handlebar? I can see why people remove the front derailer, it gets rid of one thing on the handlebar (and is probably not needed anyway).
Scott

Ok I will take a guess that you have a 4 stroke with the grubee III gear box?? If so the front derailuer will be in the way of the mounting plate most likely.If it is the stageIII you do not need the engager.You want this to be engaged all of the time.Do a little searching for stage III engager...I wish I had a photo to put up.

nope, actually I'm looking at the one that mounts on a rack. No problems with spacing on the frame since I will be on the rack.
Just how does the clutch work though. I've read different things from different kits and maybe I'm confusing myself. The kit claims to have a centrifugal clutch and yet it had an engager lever. Someone please explain this to me. Is the engager used to start the power to the wheels once moving and the centrifugal clutch there to keep the motor running while at a stop?
thanks,
scott

Back