Motivation behind your MB

Riding cycles at 10 years old made me feel ALIVE
Marriage,responsibility and fatherhood soon did arrive
Bills to pay, day after day, working, no toys, no blue '69 Z- 28
No money for fun, just bills, trying to live the American dream
When I found this website a giant size light went off in my head
I'm not too old and I sure ain't dead
I'm a mechanic by trade, I can make the leap
I can build a hot bike, and do it quite cheap.
Keeps me busy, uses my brain for me, not everyone else
I ride away from my anxiety, and stress. It drowns out a lot of life's daily sh--t mess
It seems life's millions of problems disappeared...
when I built my bike.... early last year.

What's the motivation behind a motorized bicycle?

So I have been reading this forum for almost two weeks. While I like the idea of tinkering just for the sake of tinkering, I am unable to see the practical side of a motorized bicycle (MB).

At first I thought people want a MB because it can be used legally without the need of registration or insurance or license, just like an electric bike. But that is not true at all. So far I can see that Missouri is the only state that explicitly recognizes MBs. May there are a few more states that I don't know about. But it's grey area for most other states and simply outlawed in some states, Texas for example. I'm from Houston so I have read many times Texas' law and it's clear to me that MBs is a no-no. I'm sure that most officers would look the other way, but they have the right to give you a citation if they so desire.

As for economic reason, I don't see it either. MBs are home made, using cheap motors, attached to bicycles that are not designed to handle the torque or the speed. Gas mileage is only around 150mpg which is way below the Honda Cub motorcycle introduced in 1958. And the Cub will run circles around MBs in all aspects (speed, reliability, safety, comfort).

What am I missing? I'm not being critical at all, btw. I just want to understand why you guys (the consumers, NOT the sellers, manufacturers of these engines/kits) are so interested in MBs.

Thanks

So I have been reading this forum for almost two weeks. While I like the idea of tinkering just for the sake of tinkering, I am unable to see the practical side of a motorized bicycle (MB).

At first I thought people want a MB because it can be used legally without the need of registration or insurance or license, just like an electric bike. But that is not true at all. So far I can see that Missouri is the only state that explicitly recognizes MBs. May there are a few more states that I don't know about. But it's grey area for most other states and simply outlawed in some states, Texas for example. I'm from Houston so I have read many times Texas' law and it's clear to me that MBs is a no-no. I'm sure that most officers would look the other way, but they have the right to give you a citation if they so desire.

As for economic reason, I don't see it either. MBs are home made, using cheap motors, attached to bicycles that are not designed to handle the torque or the speed. Gas mileage is only around 150mpg which is way below the Honda Cub motorcycle introduced in 1958. And the Cub will run circles around MBs in all aspects (speed, reliability, safety, comfort).

What am I missing? I'm not being critical at all, btw. I just want to understand why you guys (the consumers, NOT the sellers, manufacturers of these engines/kits) are so interested in MBs.

Thanks

I like to be different. I have the $$ to buy a moped, scooter or motorcycle, but I choose not to.There are tens of thousands of them in my county. I like that WTF look as I ride in traffic or park it. I like being able to fix or replace every part of it myself, knowing it's probably gonna cost less to repair it than my McDonald's meal. Yes, I'm glad my motor is cheap, and inexpensive to fix or replace.Of course, ya gotta build your bike to withstand the torque/hp and 35mph speeds. And of course ya need to maintain and check the complete bike on a regular basis.

I like the fact that the bike is 60 lbs, one-third the weight of a moped. That way, I can pick it up or hop the curb. It also makes it easier to carry it up two flights of stairs, something impossible for a moped, scooter or motorcycle.. :whistle:

I'd advise you not to build an MB. You don't get it.:whistle:

Gas mileage ONLY 150MPG? That's phenomenal compared to the gas guzzler that stays home when the MB is being used.

Why not?

It's the Do It Yourself aspect that drew me into it. I have a couple of weed whackers in my shed and one day wondered if anyone was using one to power a bicycle. That search led me to this forum and bike motor kits.

I've been a dedicated screwdriver jockey my whole life and this hobby fits right in with my interests. I'm like 5-7HEAVEN where I can afford to go out and buy a moped or scooter. I like to be different and I like to do it myself. I like to know everything that went into the construction of my MB and know that if it breaks I can fix it. It's not only the transportation aspect of these machines that make them desirable.

It's a hobby. Bottom line, I'm having fun and that's what it's really all about.

FWIW, a new Honda Cub is rated at "only" 115mpg.

I'm tempted to buy one. It's "only" $1900 plus tax.:giggle:

It's the Do It Yourself aspect that drew me into it. I have a couple of weed whackers in my shed and one day wondered if anyone was using one to power a bicycle. That search led me to this forum and bike motor kits.

I've been a dedicated screwdriver jockey my whole life and this hobby fits right in with my interests. I'm like 5-7HEAVEN where I can afford to go out and buy a moped or scooter. I like to be different and I like to do it myself. I like to know everything that went into the construction of my MB and know that if it breaks I can fix it. It's not only the transportation aspect of these machines that make them desirable.

It's a hobby. Bottom line, I'm having fun and that's what it's really all about.

LOL, it's one of my cheapest hobbies I've been interested in.

And the drivetrain is transferrable to almost any other bike, for whatever reason.

THAT is impossible with moped, scooter, motorcycle or Cub.

Back