Motor and other questions

artmaker

Local time
2:24 AM
Ok, old photo but here is my bike as it was new.
Bike1REPLACED.jpg

That was several years ago. It's since gone through a few sets of much better tires, had the whole rear wheel respoked with thicker spokes. And had at least one ring job done to the motor.
Well last summer I took a spill, busted up the shift and one brake levers, and the motor, though it starts and runs, will not engage the wheel at all. I think it was possibly due for another ring job and my spill might have killed it. But in any case, the thing had a TON of miles on it, and I am no lightweight so it's gotta be due.

Now… thinking of upgrading to a 4 stroke. And any and all opinions on that please…. spew forth.

Other issues I have had constantly… that blasted gas tank. I'm on my third one. That frame, though cool looking retro esk, makes mounting a standard gas tank impossible. A bigger, longer tank is no good because I JUST clear the frame with that tank as it sits now. The guy I bought this from originally drilled a few holes into the frame so the mounts could be attached but nothing attaches very tight. So the whole tank wobbles, and eventually the mounts poke holes into it.
Right now (not pictured) I have ugly plastic straps wrapped around the thing which hold it ok but look like hell.

SO… been eyeballing frames with built in gas tanks. Something like this…. (not promoting a listing here, just an example.) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Felt-Phanto...229725?hash=item36146270dd:g:6KIAAOSwXYtYx0fi

Does anyone know where I could land one of these and get it painted to match the green fork and rear rack? I really like my green machine. I have found them in silver, or black, but surely someone can paint them. If not I might find an auto place that could. So mainly, what are your thoughts on the built in tank/frame idea? Good? bad? Matters not? OR…. what can I do about a better gas tank?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back