Motor-Bicycle Building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You find the coolest stuff, Thanks this is fun. Have fun, Dave

WOW thats cool stuff, all that period information is really helpfull stuff for building replicas. and a look into the minds of the designers. Patents are great reading too.

....Bob

I spend altogether too much time delving through Google Patent Search Bob. I have folders stuffed full of printouts of fascinating old bicycle related patents. Delightful reading :D

While I was reading over the bicycle motor chapter RatRoder I found myself wondering how much of this old engine could be fabricated or adapted rather than going to the expense of pattern making and getting castings done.
I shall have to do some hunting about and see what can be found in the local Ministry of Works heavy machinery depot's scrap steel bin.

hi,

this book is also available in print, I bought a copy of ebay a couple of years ago, a very cool book,

Steve.

Is it available as a reprint Steve?

Being able to print off those pages with diagrams as needed is good though as I wouldn't dare take an actual book into my workshop. Too likely to end up with black thumbprints all over the pages :D

yes, should have said that, it is a reprint, available from a few places did a quick search and found a few vendors, www.lindsaybks.com
I've been considering making the patterns for the lugs to have some cast, the motor design could be modified to be cast in alloy and use ball bearings ect. it would be a long term project I suspect.
I'm interested in what people are doing with backyard metal casting, www.backyardmetalcasting.com
I've made a waste oil burner and have started on the furnace!:D

Steve

I can not believe that he smashed up that 4,000 dollar lathe, just to melt down. I would have given him at least $600 for it. It hurt me, mentally to see that. Now I will have nightmares. Argh!

I couldn't believe it either Doc. Those old heavy cast iron lathes are just soooooo good to use and are utterly reliable. I wish I had one of that size again (sigh). All that mass of metal makes for really steady and vibration free turning.

What an utter pratt! :eek: Everyone knows that the best source of cast iron is the SUV in your neighbour's driveway ;)

Otherwise it was a really interesting website.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back