Motor Bike with Side-Car

Local time
12:48 PM
Hey everybody, I'm thinking of building a 40's or 50's style motorbike with a side-car. I have a 7 horse Briggs and Stratton engine that I'm going to put on it, so the weight won't be a problem. I don't know if I want to put just a chair, or make an enclosed one (like a regular motorcycle side-car) on it. Just give me some thoughts or ideas, Thanks!

Well, the thought was to integrate the sidecar in with the frame of the side-car.
This was I was kind of thinking about.

Attachments

• Motorbike sidecar.JPG
    Motorbike sidecar.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:
Side Car

hey K.M.I., Just check out the laws in your area before you put it on the street. In Califormia you gotta be 16 to ride one on the street, sidecar or not.
I think it's gonna ride like a tall trike. The center of gravity is gonna be real high on something like that. I've built a trike with a high center, I called it THE WIDOWMAKER. you can see it in my album. It was a lot of fun, but very dangerous to ride. I had to take the turns real slow.
Plan it, build it. and SAFTEY FIRST.
Big Red.

Ok, to ride it "legally" I would have to have a fender on the side-car. The way I need to build it can't have pedals, and would be considered a motorcycle. If it had pedals it would be considered "pedal assist" and I could do anything that I wanted. Even if all the pedals do is start the bike then it's still considered "pedal assist". I might be able to go that route. Thanks for the input.

I think that bike is cool you would have to flip a coin to see who rides shot gun lol

At 14, I think if you built those motored bikes from scratch because you don't like kits you are uber cool.

As for your sidecar idea. Scratch that, instead do it the other way.

Does Ben Hur mean anything to you?

Make the side car on the back of the bike "back car" , reverse it so instead of sitting your passenger is standing and it is now a motorized bicycle chariot.

THAT would be cool and it has not been done on this forum or anything else motored bike for that matter.

Thoughts?

Back