Motor bogging under full throttle

D

ducky

At idle speed I can gun it and it takes off well, but then I need to back off the throttle when I'm getting up to speed or it starts to bog, like it's getting too much fuel. At top speed I'm only giving it about 1/3 throttle, otherwise it sputters and slows down. I've leaned it right out, that's where it performs best, but it still seems to run rich. Any ideas?

actually it sounds like it is running too lean. check for air leaks....intake gasket, carb,..etc. try a search on "engine bogging" here on this forum.
keep us posted

Actually I tried richening the mixture up and it made it worse. That's why I figure it's getting too much fuel. But I will try to check for air leaks.

Another problem is that it spits fuel out of the carb sometimes. Isn't it supposed to suck it the other way? :p

I agree about the intake gasket, also check the carb is on far enought to seal to intake
is your carb level ?
could be the cause of it spitting

Run it at full throttle under load and shut off the fuel to the engine. Just before engine dies, it will do something. What it does should tell you if it is too rich or too lean. If it speeds up and runs better it is definitely too rich. If it does nothing, it was probably too lean to begin with.

It's running better now, running methyl hydrate and setting the mixture one notch richer has gotten me to scary speeds for a bicycle :devilish:

It still doesn't seem to want to make up its mind on the sweet spot. I have to feel around for it depending on hills/valleys. Thanks all for the input, I'll take some advice and keep you all posted :) It's fast enough, I just want it to be faster :p

Bogging at WOT

Hi if your bike runs fine all thru the power curve, and then, after running 1/4-1/2 block WOT it goes BLLLAAAAEEEHHH, and you back off throttle a bit and it picks right up, you need a new bigger "performance" jet.

ohhh My, good golly, where would i get one ? NONE are made in China, and as near as I can figger, none will ever be. But, in a secret lab, in North Cali, in the dark, on a back street, on weekends and nights....... Someone makes them.

WAT? you say? Yes, I am the guilty party..........

Mike

please PM sellers for prices & such, or visit their sites...keeps actual commerce off the board that way, allowing us to maintain some impartiality...thanks 8)

so...jetting...this has come up before. are you saying the flat-spot at around 19-21 mph (and again at top-end) on level ground indicates not enuff fuel?

Back