Motor exploded in smoke?

I pulled the clutch cover off and found that the big machine screw / bolt that holds the small bevel gear in place had come loose and that was what ate a hole in the cover. I went to the hardware store and got an m8 bolt and ground it down with a dremel until it wad the same dimensions as the original and popped that in there.

I also ended up buying a $3 lawnmower muffler and I ground down the threads on it until it would fit snuggly into my muffler pipe.

I also ended up changing out the magneto and cdi because I had new ones on hand any way (I had ordered then because I suspected I had moisture buildup in my cdi chamber area) and put in a new spark plug.

I also filled the entire frame of the bike with spray foam insulation to reduce vibration.

I haven't yet had the chance to take off the head and big and see how the cylinder is looking, but I plan to do that this evening (and if it looks good, do a port and polish job on it).

After taking it on a test ride after the aforementioned adjustments, the bike seems to be doing be doing better than ever

Here's a picture of the screwed up screw
20171023_143510.jpg
20171023_143524.jpg

Back