Motor mount dimensions

jmccrury

Local time
6:13 AM
I got my 49cc HT kit in yesterday and have started building it. I am going to have to drill through the frame and make a bracket to mount the motor to. I thought that the bike frame was going to be small enough, but it's not. Too bad.

Anyways, I was just going to make a simple bracket with three holes in it (like I've see other people do here) at work today, but I was in a rush this morning and didn't have time to get the dimensions. Does anyone know the distance between the motor mount studs and the size of the studs for drilling the bracket? I did a search but couldn't find this information anywhere. If not, I can get the measurements tonight and make it tomorrow, but I would really like to complete it today.

Thanks

I believe that the studs on the front mount of my Dax 70cc HT are 4cm apart. I don't know what diameter they are. Can someone back me up on this?

-Rock

the studs are 1-5/8 inches center to center, the stud size is 6 mm , but a 1/4 inch bit will do.

I could be wrong, but seeing how everything else on the motor seems to be in metric, I doubt the studs are actually separated by 1-5/8 inches. Also, 1-5/8" = 4.1275 cm. Prolly won't matter, though, if you drill the holes a bit big. We're working with HT tolerances here, after all!

Thanks for the help. 1-5/8" and 4cm are close enough. I had already planned on using a 1/4" bit to drill the holes so it should work out ok. Maybe I will finally get it mounted today.

sorry guys, i did'nt have a metric ruler, or tape, shame on me, anyways, i just measured mine so i know it will work. i ran a sheet metal bussiness for a long time, i'm old school, i can measure metric if it's critical, but i default to the inch system..
mine did break a 3/8 bolt that i put through the frame, but it was poor grade material. i used a 3/8 head bolt from a briggs & straton motor, nice & hard. also if you can find some small rubber gromets to put on the engine mount studs, between the peice your making & the nuts & washers, that takes a lot of vibration out, you can always get them at the auto parts store, & add them later.

That's ok, I was going to have to convert the metric to standard anyways. The tooling guys here always want everything converted even though we work in automotive and everything is metric.:rolleyes: They are old school too.:D

I also have a solid rubber tube that I'm going to make my own grommets from. It was too soft for the application we wanted it for here at work, so I got it for free. It should work great for mounting the motor.

sounds like you are going to have a very good install, i used peices of an 1-1/4 inch rubber dishwasher hose to put between the engine, & the seat post tube, all that rubber makes a big difference. i tried without it, it gave me the (numb bunn syndrome) not a good thing for a long ride.

As a suggestion, I used one of the mounting brackets which came with the engine as a template for drilling the holes, (no measuring neccessary), and I made "grommets" from sections of leftover fuel line. Works well for me.

Back