Motor mount planning, need input, take 2

Ok, here we go. First allow me to express my gratitude for each of your thoughts. Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.
Now then, I spent a little time in the CAD lab. Here is what I’m thinking. The first pic- the engine is resting, rather precariously, on two hunks of aluminum tube. Just over one inch square tube- this puts the plate just below the bottom bracket (that’s what that is right?) thinking I don’t want over heat and possibly warp that. Third shot, basically the space that will be filled- two pieces of 1/8 on either side of the seat tube across that distance should do nicely. I have plans fo that space I shall discuss next slide. last photo is cad madel mock-up of the engine- there is some, not much, room to move forward and aft.
make sure you make room for the intake/carb combo.
most of those have a michanical fuel pump, and the stock carb with filter sticks out around 4-6" (depending if its the pressure washer model or the regular one)

for the cvt, the countershaft sticks out behind as weel, so keep that in mind.

id use the cvt, its just eaiser to use, plus you dont need a jackshaft. (becuase a cvt is one)

the build looks great right now! cant wait untill the finished product!

Thanks mark, the stock carb is going away- not sure what I’ll use but it will be gravity fed.
My issue is getting the sprockets all lined up- first drive will be 3+ inches left- the back sprocket is off by 1.5” so I need to get back to the right- toward center.
What I though about is pic below but I can’t get information about it.

Question-what is the distance from the “front face” of the CVT- to the back of the countershaft- or how far back does that go?

Attachments

• A126A93F-F39C-4AEF-B056-EA4A727CF61C.jpeg
    A126A93F-F39C-4AEF-B056-EA4A727CF61C.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 360
Thanks mark, the stock carb is going away- not sure what I’ll use but it will be gravity fed.
My issue is getting the sprockets all lined up- first drive will be 3+ inches left- the back sprocket is off by 1.5” so I need to get back to the right- toward center.
What I though about is pic below but I can’t get information about it.

Question-what is the distance from the “front face” of the CVT- to the back of the countershaft- or how far back does that go?
Depends on the model.
The Chinese copy i had was about 2.5 in back.
But most are around 3"
(Believe the genuine comet converters are around 3.5" but I could be wrong)

Ok more pics- cause we all love pictures. Motor has about 2” front to back movement. If anyone needs a different angle or measurements to help with feedback let me know. I hope I’m not being a PITA, I want to have a clear concept before shelling out my cash.

Attachments

• 63591E12-CD21-414E-8F01-1871BF393EA3.jpeg
    63591E12-CD21-414E-8F01-1871BF393EA3.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 372
  • B1CB7AC5-F549-46CC-8E54-9599C40FE25B.jpeg
    B1CB7AC5-F549-46CC-8E54-9599C40FE25B.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 358
  • 8979CAC2-9684-4427-9DAA-558ADDBA86B0.jpeg
    8979CAC2-9684-4427-9DAA-558ADDBA86B0.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 379
CVT will likely still need a jackshaft if you have a wide rear tire or have to use a non-standard mount setup. Output sprocket on mine is one piece with a thick spacer attached so you can't adjust the output alignment on them without buying a new sprocket, taking it all apart, and rebuilding it using lock collars...which is added expense plus annoying. It is the larger 40 series though, so the 30 series may have most adjustment possibilities...I haven't looked that closely at them.

I put my jackshaft right on the other side of the seat post from where you propose yours. I want to use the under the engine space for an alternator and battery mount location, but might need to bolt it to the top of the motor instead due to room and alignment (unless I make a second teeny-tiny jackshaft just for the alt belt?)

Output sprocket on mine is one piece with a thick spacer attached so you can't adjust the output alignment on them without buying a new sprocket, taking it all apart, and rebuilding it using lock collars...which is added expense plus annoying
Good thing he seems to have access to a machine shop and can make his own spacers (look at his cad printouts!!!). Something tells me he has membership in a maker space.

Attachments

• 08AA3C7E-F53F-4E39-AC01-63B79897D07C.jpeg
    08AA3C7E-F53F-4E39-AC01-63B79897D07C.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Woo hoo! For what it worth- it was ordered from Brands Cycle & Fitnesses via Amazon $66.49 + tax free shipping. It’s big, it’s beautiful, and fits perfectly in the ‘stock’ bracket.

Attachments

• 60A9D443-7561-4B2B-B3BF-8BB2E8610474.jpeg
    60A9D443-7561-4B2B-B3BF-8BB2E8610474.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 344
Just remember, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link-----it looks like you're depending on whatever the bike frame is made of to hold an awful lot. Just my personal thoughts. Art

Thanks a lot Art, since this thread I have made a few decisions. I purchased the Motorsport 3D manual clutch- a number of reasons for that. From there I will run through a jackshaft and on to the rear. Sprockets are 12-28-10-44.
Have a look and comment- I value all input

Back