Motor mounts

Neufcruz

Local time
8:17 AM
I just received my GT6 motor from gasbikes. The frame is a Skyhawk tank in frame. The front engine mount that Is welded onto the frame has bolt holes that are wider than the mount holes on the engine. I don't seem to see any adapter besides the regular universal frame mount that wraps the tube. I was assuming that the front of engine would just line up. Any advice before I start drilling if hacking off stuff?
thanks
mike

It's the mount holes on engine which don't align with the welded on motor mount on the frame. The frame mount holes are spaced further apart. Need to figure out how to download pictures.

if you have the flat plate that goes with the u-bolt, it may fit when you bolt it to the motor - you may need to hacksaw off that thickness from the rear mounting block tho.

motors come with either wide or narrow front mounts, don't know if frames do too

if you have the flat plate that goes with the u-bolt, it may fit when you bolt it to the motor - you may need to hacksaw off that thickness from the rear mounting block tho.

motors come with either wide or narrow front mounts, don't know if frames do too
That would make sense. The motor must be the narrow and the frame is the wide.
Frame is 2"3/8 center to center of holes in welded on motor mount plate.
Engine is 1"5/8 center to center of stud bolts coming off engine.
I can try and re drill hey holes inside of those but is right on the edge of existing holes. Does it need to be centered or can I go off center left or right and use 1 hole and drill another or cut and weld new plate with correct spacing? Am I the only one who has run into this issue? Would think there is a easier, already thought of solution for this.
Plus some of my parts were not shipped!
Let the fun begin.... :)

oops - posted in wrong thread & can't seem to delete this

I just received my GT6 motor from gasbikes. The frame is a Skyhawk tank in frame.
Actually nothing you got from gasbike is Grubee or Skyhawk anything.
It's all knock-off's using the Grubee/Skyhawk names.
It's nothing like the real things.
gasbike hasn't been able to buy from Grubee for years since all this knockoff stuff started.

Anyway, back to your problem...

The front engine mount that Is welded onto the frame has bolt holes that are wider than the mount holes on the engine.

You probably have an 'alternate' front mount plate in your parts with the right size engine holes.
Clamp it to the welded pedestal top and use it for a template to drill 2 new holes.

It 's ok if the other holes end up being slots, the piece in the middle will keep your engine from moving.

Actually nothing you got from gasbike is Grubee or Skyhawk anything.
It's all knock-off's using the Grubee/Skyhawk names.
It's nothing like the real things.
gasbike hasn't been able to buy from Grubee for years since all this knockoff stuff started.

Anyway, back to your problem...

You probably have an 'alternate' front mount plate in your parts with the right size engine holes.
Clamp it to the welded pedestal top and use it for a template to drill 2 new holes.

It 's ok if the other holes end up being slots, the piece in the middle will keep your engine from moving.

KC,
Thanks and funny, this was exactly what a friend and I decided to do. Wont be able to move in either direction anyways plus no new welding. The piece is aluminum so should be easy to drill. Building this thing in my condo so no real room or tools. What was I thinking? Lol

I know the frame is not a real skyhawk. I didn't get it from gas bike but a local motorized bike shop down here in Miami. I hope this isn't the 1st of many issues.
Gasbike also forgot my reed I ordered.

Thanks fpr reinforcing my idea! :)

I have been riding on one of these aluminum Skyhawk frames for well over a year now. Here's my advice:

That welded engine mount plate WILL fail. And it won't take a great deal of riding to break the weld. Here's one way to adapt:

Make a 2 piece motor mount out of some form of thick angle pieces. Use the first "L" to lock onto the downtube with a 1 1/2" muffler bracket (3/8" bolts!). Link the other angle piece (an inverted "L" and either weld them or bolt them together with 4 1/2" bolts. The trick would be to overlap the back piece directly on top of the frame provided motor mount.

Use an adapter to make the final connection from the front of the motor to the inverted "L" of the back of the motor mount. A thick piece of metal ties the engine to the motormount using at least 1/4"-20 Grade 8 bolts. 5/16 would be better, though.

Such a set up would be bomb proof! The trick would be trimming the joining the edges of the angle pieces to get perfect length to fit the frame. Off the top of my head, it should be in the 1 3/8" range.

The weak point of my frame was on the downtube just below the fuel tank. I'd suggest getting some kind of strong epoxy material and beefing that up as much as possible before you start running on the frame.

Back