Motor not running like it used to

trent kelly

Local time
6:19 AM
Hi I am new to this forum I put my old motor on an occ Schwinn chopper bike and the exhaust was bent a little in the middle I fixed it as best I could when I first started it up it ran like it used to just a little loud but the chain got caught and halted my motor to a stop i fixed it and now my motor idles way too high I got it down a little but now it is way too loud what should I do

I turned the choke on when the engine was warm and running and it shut off right away which is supposed to mean no leaks

Do you have a compression tester? I was told you can some times feel for leaks, a warm flow of air, but if you can get your hands on a compression tester that'd be best.

I figured it out the exhaust where it attached is bent which is making it sound like it is reving higher at idle i tested it with gasket maker and it sounded like normal I am going to order a new exhaust any suggestions for an occ schwinn stingray chopper

Not needed now but another way to tell if you have an intake leak is to take something like propane if you feel confident in like one of those camping sized bottles with a torch attachment switch it on and move it around slowly at the gasket. If not you can do the same with carb cleaner if it sucks any in through a leak it will make a noticeable change in the running of the engine. The choke is another way to do it but that from personally experience on carbed 4 stroke engines doesn't always work.

Back