Motor Options (and drive questions)

T

tfhudson

Hi guys,

Let me start off by saying that I am fairly ignorant regarding this issue. I have read other threads on the topic, but am ignorant to a lot of the terminology.

For my next build, I'm looking at a number of engines that I haven't heard of anyone using before. It will be a frame-mounted chain driver...

What do I need to know, or look for, regarding throttle connections? Do I need to get an engine with a spring return like that of go-karts?

What kinds of things should I know about clutches? And driveshafts? I see lots of Briggs, Kawasaki, and Tecumseh engines online with varying driveshaft diameters and types. If I purchase the right clutch with a drive gear for one of these engines, will they readilly work with a Grubee mounting kit? Or some other kit on the market? (I have a chinese kit that I can pull applicable parts from.)

I also came across the GP460RS engine for Gopeds, which boasts an impressive 4.19 HP and 2.3 lb-ft of torque. Is this easilly adaptable to bikes, and how so? Would you do it, and why or why not?

Then there's the Tanaka 47R, which gets good reviews, but I can hardly find a soul selling it.... I see staton offers a kit for that motor, but it's pricey. Will the motor work with other mounts as well?

Please enlighten me! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

GreaseMonk

Go-Ped Motor

2nd post so I am really a newbie to this site...

I just stumbled accross a Go-Ped engine and was wondering how progress on using your go-ped engine has turned out...

any luck?

2nd post so I am really a newbie to this site...

I just stumbled accross a Go-Ped engine and was wondering how progress on using your go-ped engine has turned out...

any luck?

You'll probably have to do a lot of fabricating/welding regardless. ZombyBuilder said he was 2000 in the hole with Zack too. If you're willing to put the time and money in, anything is possible.

kawasaki999

I have the 47r and its an awsome motor built to last, 2.8 hp its on a belt drive kit. I am just building another bike with the gp 460 4.2+ hp. the 47r gives me 45 mph and it cost 385.00 the 460 cost 255.00. I wonder how much faster the 460 will be....