Motor sputtering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a little trouble understanding where top dead center is.
"Insert a straw into the spark plug hole and find TDC. The straw will be at it's highest point and there should be play in both "

According to the illustration, the compression phase is when the piston is at it's highest position, or closest to the valves.
But "straw will be at it's highest point" so shortest? Least amount fitting into the spark plug hole? Yes?
Marking my straw at both points when the valves are both closed, "highest" might mean deepest in or highest mark I make on the straw.

As I'm typing this I think I'm answering myself here.... Pretty sure I had it backwards. Gonna try again.
Stuck the gauges in at both points though and there is TONS of space.... probably way too much so you guys might be dead on with the valve adjustment.

Got it done, all back together, WILL NOT START!!!!!! Choke on, choke off, little throttle, none at all, nothing nothing nothing.
Darn hard to even pull the cord. :mad:

I think this is going to be the last 4 stroke I ever attempt to get working. Too many fails. NOT enough riding.

Irritated aggravated, frustrated..... nuff for today. Gonna get darn hot the next few days too. I'll be in the lake. NOT cooling off with nice evening rides. ((( I should have just replaced my 2 stroke. Live and learn. )))

Top meaning top of the stroke, top of the cyl.. Most amount of straw sticking out of the cyl. This happens 2 times in a 4 stroke cycle 1 TDC is the compression stroke and the other is the exhaust stroke. Intake, compression, power, and exhaust. You want the TDC after the intake opens. If you do it at the end of the exhaust stroke it won't be correct.

I can't see what openes. THey both go up then down. How do you know which is part 1 and which is part 3? I can't see the actual valves. Just the rocker arms. I did use the straw (skewer in my case) and when it was shortest, or furthest up and both rockers down, this is when I adjusted.

This motor was hard to start before I did the valves.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but you might want to take it back by your mechanic friends. If both rockers are down on the nut side that is the end of the comp stroke and is good. If both rockers are down on the valve side that is the end of the exhaust stroke as their is a brief moment of overlap in valve timing to allow the exhaust flowing out the pipe to aid in scavenging the new charge into the cyl.

I swear I have looked and looked. Google is beyond useless and even the search here isn't working.

WHAT GAP for my 4 stroke huasheng titan motor? I have two new plugs here. One stock, the other (ordered later) NGK
Every search keeps coming up with TWO STROKE answers. Wish there was a way to say (-2 stroke) and not get wrong results. Use to. That search feature is gone now.

Too hot to fuss tonight, time to see what you all have to say. I did read up on the 2 stroke ones though. (Gonna build another bike this winter.)
Going theory is around 25-35 lower meaning easier start but less power and hot. Play around, all motors are slightly different... got it.

SO what about the 4 stroke?

25 to 35, hum maybe try 30. Gramted the forum is here to glen info. The other part is putting on your thinking hat and figuring s**t out for yourself. No offense bro, but their is nothing wrong with a experiment or two. Not every oyster has pearl.

HEY HEY..... Got er done! Put in a better spark plug.... at first gaped it to about 30 then decided to check the old one, as it came with the motor and it was a lot tighter. So I gaped the new one the same.... a little hard to get it started, usually is after it sits for this long. But it started.
Kept running.... took it for a spin around town and my speed is back!
I still need to give it a much longer test but this is promising.

Only down side... the kill button on my handlebar isn't working. Perhaps it had something to do with the issues????? I'm not going to mess with it for now. There's a kill button right on the motor too. I can shut it off after stopping, that's fine. I'll fiddle with that after I know the engine issues are ok.

I did have to turn the idol way back down too. I think I kept turning it high to counter it's not running right. No need now it seems.

Again a little early, I'll take it for a good ride tomorrow weather permitting.
Thanks for all the help.

LOL, puts a hole new outlook on motor biking ha. .......Curt

Hey again guys... I think finally, after two whole summers of fussing over assorted problems, I got my ride 100%.
So.... last summer concert of this year I stuck a gopro on my helmet and recorded the whole ride. (Well until it got too dark for the camera, I cut off the last bit.)
It's really fun to play it back at 1.5 speed. Looks like I'm actually going fast.
Here... come ride with me. And thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back