Motor vehicle or not

I think Doug covered the legal aspects pretty well. One thing ocurrs to me. Do you have, or can you get, one of those "Disabled" stickers they use for handicaped parking? If so, maybe you could have it displayed in some way on your bike. I think that as long as you're being courteous and considerate of other bike path users, they and any police would probably let you ride without complaint.

I got it all figured out when trail riding which is what I do pretty often. Cops just wave back. Other bikers give me a dirty look..but a small handful smile and wave. Whenever I pass another bicyclist or pedestrian I cut it off and pedal past them. When they are going the same direction,I'll stop until they are about 1/8th of a mile away.
Well anyway,If a cop does ever decide to stop me all I need to do is show him my massive scar on my chest from having a quintuple bypass. That should take care of most cops. They will see that without my motor assist I cannot ever enjoy these trails.
So we all need to have coronary bypass operations so that we can have an excuse.
Go to your doctor. Do it NOW!

Ha HA HA You got me there, Thats a good one. I'll bring that up with old saw bones the next time I go to see him. My Dr.'s a clown . He went to write a perscription for me and reached to his shirt pocket and pulled out a rectal thermometer and said " Oh No Some A-hole got my pen!" Well you had to be there. AS It stands now I see pain management once a month, Dr. Liverman (gastro)once a month, my primary care once a month,go to the Arthritis clinic once a month, and and make a visit to the shrink cause they are driving me nuts. and of cource I visit the pharmacy one or two times a month. All of this is cause I'm sick or maybe its cause I have insurance and they all want a slice of the pie. ... Oh well Thats America buddy.... T in WV

First let me paint a better picture of the path in question. We are talking about a 4 lane devided highway with a path alongside within 30 feet or so. Its a truck route and has a rather barren landscape . The highway noise is loud and the fumes are high. Not a quiet woodsy bike path that people would enjoy to jog along. I could see anyone in front of me perhaps 100 yards away. I would never ride on or incroach upon the joggers area but this hardly qualifys as one.Anyway electrics are welcome as far as I can tell as are electric wheelchairs. I asked the DMV for a placard or something , as a disabled person , to show a cop in the event the issue came up. She said that even though technicly its legal for me to ride on the path she could not help me simply because there was no such thing for her to give me . I was asking for something that doesnot exist. I 'm still not sure what the cop on the beat is going to think about the whole issue but I think I can ride without being a bother to anyone and will turn off the engine and pedal if and when the cop appears in the hopes of avoiding the whole issue. If I do get a ticket however I'll take it all the way to the high court to avoid paying a fine that I don't thimk is just or fair. ... T in WV

We started a not-for-profit special interest group that has been well received by law enforcement here in Winniipeg Manitoba Canada. You may want to consider or research to see if there is a similar group there. We are the 'Manitoba Electric Vehicle Association [MEVA] and about half our members are Power Assisted Bicycle enthusiasts with both bike style and eScooter style electric powered PAB's. We would lobby Mantioba Government and law enforcement for a Member like yourself, even though half our Members are 4 wheel electric vehicle enthusiasts. There is power [and confidence and fun] in #'s.
Dave Connell, Charter Chairman MEVA

Back