Motorbike Idle/clutch question

Amwicr

Local time
6:17 PM
Hello, I just finished a Cranbrook build with a Zeda 80. I'm new to this, and I have a couple of questions...

When the clutch lever is not squeezed, the bike is being propelled forward. Is this right?? It didn't do that at first.

Also when I get to a stop sign, and I want to take off again, should I just let off the clutch or should I pedal it a bit first?

And also sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Once that is done and you can see the clutch is now releasing the wheel when the clutch lever is squeezed in
The clutch is released when the lever is squeezed. But should the bike be in motion when it is not squeezed, and the throttle is not twisted at all?

But should the bike be in motion when it is not squeezed,
if the clutch is NOT squeezed, that means the clutch is fully engaged and will either stall on you at a stop, or if idled too high will just want to go.
Yes pedal assist it while gradually letting out the clutch.

PICS WE NEED PICS -- Never happened to me but take those fenders off if you haven't already.
An old post about fenders...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-182442.png
    Screenshot_20220226-182442.png
    794.8 KB · Views: 125
The clutch is released when the lever is squeezed. But should the bike be in motion when it is not squeezed, and the throttle is not twisted at all?
When your clutch lever is not squeezed, your whole drivetrain is like one connected machine and each part moves synchronously. When you pull your clutch lever, depending on how much you are pulling, the clutch comes apart and allows the drivechain and engine to move asynchronously or even independently. So the answer to that question is yes. As long as your engine is running and clutch engaged (lever released) the bike will want to move. Like Damien said, it will either stall or take off on you depending on the circumstances.

If you are thinking of your weedwacker or go-kart, those things have centrifugal clutches that engage as the engine runs faster.

So the answer to that question is yes
Thanks. When the lever is out, the bike is moving about 10-15 mph. when i pull in the lever, the engine revs really high. So I should lower the idle? When I have the bike idling, I tried moving the idle screw and it didn't do much. Air leak????? I didn't put the tape around the intake pipe.

Hopefully that is the newest Zeda 80s that are out now...The way to find out is to see if the carbuetor has the word, "BoFeng" written on it near the round cap on the top of the carby just above the idle adjustment screw...Lets start there first. before i proceed with instructions of things to look for when you first put it all together...DAMIEN

yeah you might have an air leak. If the engine seems like it is running away at idle you have an air leak or something not adjusted correctly.

Back