motorcycle light hook-up??????

dky777m

Local time
1:28 PM
I have recently bought a motorcycle light for my bicycle and I'm looking for ideas of how to light it up? I cant use the motor so i am looking for ther alternatives such as rechargeable battery! I would really like to use this light because it fits the look of the retro i went with! Its a bullet style light with a 12 enclosed light fixture! Any ideas????????

anything that will give you 12 volts...a motorcycle battery? a lawn tractor battery? you need something small because there isn't much room on a bike frame to mount a battery...unless there's really small 12 volt batteries out there that i don't know about.

ahh, good thinking...2 11.1 volt lipo batteries in paralell.
a charger and the batteries could set you back a few bucks, but they'll work and since they are 2200 maH each, they should last awhile before they need to be re-charged.
I'm into r/c's (electric monster trucks and buggies) and i didn't think of doing it this way.

dky777m - it WOULD work. But, for how long?

The battery shown supplies 12V, 2.3 amp-hours (aH.)

The 2.3 aH is the key number - this is the capacity of the battery. The battery can supply 2.3 amps for 1 hour, or 1 amp for 2.3 hours. The greater the number of aH, the longer the battery can supply current at a given load.

You haven't told us the current (amps) or power (watts) that your motorcycle headlight needs. If it had a 36 watt bulb, the current the battery would need to supply is 36W/12V, or 3 amps.

2.3aH / 3a = 0.77 Hours, or about 46 minutes.

If the bulb is 55W, then the same calculation shows 4.6 amps of battery current is needed, and a time of 30 minutes with a 2.3 aH battery...

Last edited:
i honestly think you would be better off with lipo batts they have the juice to get you wher you need to go at nite well you figure those halogen lites used in baja lite like what you put on truck rollbars and they stay lit 45 minutes without draining the batt all the way down and those lites are big and brite heck each pack is 10 bucks buy to packs and paralell them and you could probally ride all nite with them on a regular 12v lite

What does this mean to run them parallel? Not to savvy in the electrical field!

Back