Motored bike vs moped/scooter

Moped rules vary alot depending on where they are. In Hawaii, no insurance or registration are needed for a Moped 50cc or under. On the other hand, our MB's are not legal at all. So for that reason, a moped makes more sense here. But I have never been accused of doing what makes sense. :)

thanks for all the replies. I think i'm getting more comfortable with the idea of a MB. I like the idea of being able to turn off the engine and go anywhere though.

hawaii ed, if lights, signals and horn were added and it was registered as a moped and had a safety check, would it be legal? is it not legal because it's between a bike and moped? the legality thing is the only thing i'm kinda hung up on.

Last edited:
the main difference between the two as seen from up top the mountain is
the amount of distance one can truly travel without a sore tailpipe holder ??
if I am only wishing to travel up to 15 to 25 miles one way (50 m max total) taking some time doing
a mororized bicycle will fit the need
if traveling more distance that that in one day -- let's get something
with speeds, bigger tires, bigger motor
guess we could just say ---------------------- bigger..
MM

That can depend on the state you're in. One of the obstacle frequently confronting various members here in their respective locales is the VIN issue off a bicycle.
Sometimes this is simply best handled discreetly by "creating" a VIN using the correct numerical/letter format incorporating the serial # on the bottom bracket of the bike. :whistle:

i guess if youre in hawaii make your mb look like a moped and it will be legal then,lights and mirrors and youre good to go.my cruiser already looks like a antique motorcycle.
no reg or nothing for mopeds in hawaii then nobody will know your mb that looks like a moped is really not one right.theres no inspections either right.

You are right on cabin fever, and that is what I did with my beach cruiser.

There are three main rules:
- Under 50 cc (strike one)
- All safety equipement, horn,lights, mirrors (can do that easy)
- Must be automatic, with no clutch or shifting (uh-oh!)

The clutch system is our big downfall. And my shifter kit banging through the gears will really sink me! So far the 5-0 have been pretty cool, and we ghost pedal whenever we see them.

the mopeds are faster, more powerful, and way more comfortable, but they look so *** and you need to pay so much for one and pay for insurance, plus they are probably worse on gas too, and i find that an MB is way easier to ride and maneuver because its a bike and your legs are on eather side, if you intend to ride for long distances and have alot of money then go for a motorscooter(also if your not male) but if you want to pay next to nothing then get an MB, i would never ride a moped,

I've owned several scooters, the best one was an '87 Honda CH250 Elite. Fast, easy on gas, dependable and you could drive it down the freeway at 70 mph in below freezing temps and keep comfy if you had the right zuit suit. On the other hand, you could not do a darn thing to it but put gas, tires and oil in it/on it. Once, the fan switch (that controls the radiator fan) stopped working and Honda wanted $70 for a new one!!! I had to find something else to do the job. Because of the 10" tires, side winds kept you from going to sleep and in sever conditions, you kept off the speedways and had to drive on back streets. It had electric start, only....bad news. Any damage to plastic body parts = more bad news. So what does this all mean? If you got to go out and compete in the traffic, get a big motorcycle/small car, but if you don't need to go far or fast, consider the MB as a choice. MB's can be riden on streets with slower moving traffic, sidewalks, bike paths, trails, etc.. Parts are cheap and if you buy a quality kit (motor/tranny/final drive), you can ride it more than have to work on it.....

Cris

Pro MB: Low cost but maybe high (self) maintenance,hills can be problem (variable gearing very nice to have).Exercise by pedaling along.
Con:Legal&insurance isues,rider very exposed,lack of gears (depends on design),lighting etc,durability of frames? (aluminum,vibration,metal fatigue),less nimble than moped&scooter,dangerous in traffic (no respect)
My conclusion.OK for hobby use &short commutes less than 10 miles or so_Otherwise get capable scooter/moped.(100cc or more) to keep up with traffic.

Hi all newbie garyj first reply post, I've owned 4 scooters, & now working out the kinks of vibrations, chain alignment & carb issues on my 68cc ten speed bike.Here
In myrtle beach, scooters, 50cc to 150cc run freely around without tags, insurance or bike licenses
I'd like to address the questions & comments above since I've been working them out for about a year now.Fast eddie asks about scooter & MB differences. I have both & they both have issues, but are not at all similar.
even cheap 50cc chinese scooters Roketa , peace, etc, go 40+decently tuned, have elec start,CVT,lights, signals,average cost $1000.00. MB's like happy valley has said are a natural to people who love bikes, pedal, engine on or off, get a workout or relax. But here is my humble point of view. My motored bike is a bit noisy, vibrates, surges, needs strict tightening of its bolts, chain alignment is ultra critical to safety. So there is almost no similarity in my opinion. I'm happy to have the MB because it's RAW speed, mine goes 39MPH give or take, safe cruising is 24-29??
I think you have to just love your MB maintenance & all, or go the scooter route.
If i had to license/tag/insure my scooter my opinion would still be the same,
Vibration & comfort limit me to about 15-45 minutes before my arms hurt on my MB
The scooter is much smoother, and more money.

Back