Motored

mean lean

Local time
7:39 PM
Hi my last name is Lean, the mean is a **** take. Ived raced road and xc mountain bikes, bout 8 yrs total. Work in a bicycle shop, mechanic and sales. worked bout 3 years as bike courier. Live in Adelaide, South Australia. We've got great hills to cycle through. I own 2 mountain bikes kited with 48cc, I think?, engines. I could never hope to get my girlfriend fit enough to come up in the hills for a cycle, camping expedition. But these things could be the answer!
having a great time,
mean lean.

welcome to MBc. Wow another Adelaide rider. Hope you guys get a rally or good ride put together.

cheers for the quick replys. I got turned on to these mutant bicycle things through an old school buddy, and ive infected 2 of my cycling buddys already, few others real keen. my first motored went together so well!, the second has had some carby problems, only runs on half choke? also leaked a lot, petrol tank tap doesnt switch off properly. I have limited understanding of motors, but keen as to know more. I took carby apart, as far as i can work out, the more the choke is on the more air is being brought in? I adjusted the setting of the jet, to the top notch, less fuel? hasnt changed anything, figured id approach the wize before I do anything else.

If you're having to choke the engine to get it to run, you might have an air leak forward of the carb. More choke means less air and a richer mix. Use the search function to find out about ways to fix that. Carb + o-ring. If full chock won't shut the motor down, you definitely have a leak and are risking you're motor by running too lean, mean.

Edit: True story. My son called me after he started riding my bike at college and complained that he was having to ride with the choke partially on as the motor just wouldn't run with the choke all the way off. Hmm, says I, so when you push the lever all the way down, the engine quits? Down?!?, says he, er, I thought that up took the choke off. Har, har, says I, no my son, it pivots and the intake is at the bottom of the carb. So, without meaning to insult your carb mojo, you are sure that you are taking the choke off when you mean to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back