MotoredBikes in Beijing, China

BradJ80

Local time
12:34 AM
Hi Everybody,

I've been overe here in Beijing for the past 20 days working at the Olympics, and there are thousands and thousands of motored bikes on the roads here, but...

I haven't seen a single bike with a HT or similar 2-stroke engine on it... I would say 90% of them are electric, with heavy SLA or car-style batteries, 48V. Very few with new generation Li-ion packs.

The rest are a combination of 4-stroke engines and 3-wheeled trycicles which seem to be either petrol or battery operated.

Maybe there was a mandate by the government here regarding reduciton of pollution during the games, I don't know, but it seems interesting that the country that manufactures these engines, no-one seems to use them here.

It is great to see lots of people using them as their main form of transport for commuting, and with the special lanes exclusively for bicycles to travel on, motoredbikes are the most quick and efficient way of getting around a city with +13 million people....

Brad

Hey Brad - thank you for this interesting information. Not many if any 2-strokes seen - that does cause one to think - maybe China has passed a law there in Beijing so as to keep the pollution down - known to be one of the worst cities in the world for breathing - how's your breathing doing over there ? Is that pollution looking pretty bad ? Here on this site we would enjoy some pictures of MBs that we have never seen before - must be plenty. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I don't believe happytimes engines have been available for sale inside China, for some time.

they are manufactured for export only.

Brad, Would you start a thread in "The White Zone" about your first hand experiences in China & the Olympics?

thanks

With the number of motorized bikes there, the relatively dirty 2 strokes combined with the industrial output and geographical issues to make a real soup in the air.

Ask anyone about the air in eastern European cities when Trabants ruled the road (pre '91).

Last edited by a moderator:
respectfully requesting pictures

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 203
Me too, some digital delights ( pix ) from BayJing please ..... :D

I was surprised too that there are no HT motors cruising around. I wonder if the electrics are cheaper to run ?

What if those " thousands & thousands " of motorbikes that you have seen, were ALL 2 stroke ????

Over there- if the government tells you not to ride your 2 stroke around. You don't ride your 2 stroke around. Simple as that.

Back