Motorised bicycle kits without the engine?

powerstroke

Local time
8:19 AM
Does anyone sell kits without the engine, for example I want to purchase a briggs and stratton 2hp/3hp motor however I have absolutely no idea how I will mount it to a bicycle frame, so is there a kit with some clamps that I can bolt the engine onto or something like that? Anything similar?

To my knowledge, there is no kit available to mount the Briggs style engine in a bicycle frame. You can buy mounting plates that allow you to bolt the engine in the frame. Other vendors sell parts for the jackshaft, that will be needed for gear reduction. You will need to fab an exhaust pipe and solve a lot of little problems before riding. If this is your first build, install an inexpensive motor kit and learn the ropes before tackling a big Briggs build.

Thanks for the info, I'll stop my endless search for the no engine kits.

I would like to stick to the briggs and stratton idea because I have close to no money and can't afford an engine kit.

May I ask about belt drive kits? Are there belts and belt wheels that I can attach to my bikes rear tire?

Or rear engine rack mount kits? I don't suppose a standard bicycle engine rack would be strong enough to withstand the strong power of the motor.

Cheers

Last edited:
It would seem the solution to your problem is used. Keep an eye on the for sale section and on your local craigslist. Talk to some other aussies to get some ideas. You can get 1 guy here that has an extra this, guy there has an extra that. Then all of a sudden you just might have a kit to roll with. Here in the states it happens all the time.......good luck. Ebay AU? is a good option too.

Last edited:
Since you are committed to mounting the Briggs, I found a couple of threads of Briggs style builds to help you get started.
The Whizzer builders have a lot of experience with belt drive. Check out their sub-forum on this site too.
Here is a belt drive build. He has done welding, but similar setups have been bolted on:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?30180-Boardtrack-bobber-vintage-motorcycle-thing
Another build you may want to follow:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?40090-Briggs-powered-Panther

Not to sound ' mean ' but the B+S engine is a poor choice for bicycle use . They work fine in Go Karts, and Mini bikes, where the engine is mounted low. On a high mounted bicycle, the cornering would starve the engine for oil, or flood it with excessive sloshing, due to the splash lube design. If your determined to have a small engine powered bike, consider an engine with an oil filter. Pressurized oil is not as affected by movement as badly as splash lube would. For an engine mount, look at an O C C engine adapter plate, try Boy Go Fast on EBay.

V35. Useful information thanks. How about this honda ghx50 engine i see people on youtube riding with? I understand it may seem like I am changing my ideas alot here but It's best to be sure. I am considering buying one of these kits: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTgzWDYwMA==/$(KGrHqRHJB!E+OFPloPmBP5)vJMOIQ~~60_3.JPG Just a pic but you get the idea, the all famous ebay 4 stroke kit. I will ride until the chinese motor breaks, then will it be possible with what this kit provides to replace it with a more reliable long lasting engine? Like a jap 50cc engine, motor scooter 49cc hell even a lifan. Pls let me know cheers

Just my opinion, best kit you can buy for the cheapest price is a Honda 35 with a staton f/d kit. Hassle free and will last looooong time. Cruise all day long @ 28mph.

Back