Motorised Bicycle Laws: Australia

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
I think my first impressions from Australia may have come from nature shows on TV - koalas, kangaroos, etc.
Then, there was a TV series in the 1970s - title escapes me - set in Queensland/Indonesia, prominently featuring a pontoon plane.
Add Crocodile Dundee and I thought of Australia as a wide open land of rough individualists, much like the American west ca. 19th century.
This picture changed when I started meeting bunches of Aussies on the Let's Drink Europe tour, many of them were among the coolest people you could ever hope to meet, partiers to the core and world champion travelers, no one does (did...) round-the-world travel as well as the Aussies.
However, they also told me that the vast majority of Australians are suburbanites - Sydney and Melbourne alone account for a good 1/3 of the Australian population - and have little to nothing in common with Mick Dundee - or Ned Kelly, for that matter.
1950s Kansas is more like it.
Aussies I met in the US, on the other hand, differed pretty drastically from their Europe-touring compatriots, they tended to be rather combative, have huge chips on both shoulders and seemed to feel like they had an obligation to prove that EVERYTHING in Oz was better than everything in the US, California in particular. They also tended to be more of the traditional tourist type - x weeks in LA, SF, New Orleans, Miami, DC, NYC, Boston and off home.
Discovered Australian sports - NRL, AFL - a few years ago, happy to see team sports that hadn't been completely destroyed by the Politically Correct Cancel Culture just yet.
And now......they have Dan Andrews, Gladys Berijiklian (sp ?) and assorted other monsters and are living in Marxist hell.

I think my first impressions from Australia may have come from nature shows on TV - koalas, kangaroos, etc.
Then, there was a TV series in the 1970s - title escapes me - set in Queensland/Indonesia, prominently featuring a pontoon plane.
Add Crocodile Dundee and I thought of Australia as a wide open land of rough individualists, much like the American west ca. 19th century.
This picture changed when I started meeting bunches of Aussies on the Let's Drink Europe tour, many of them were among the coolest people you could ever hope to meet, partiers to the core and world champion travelers, no one does (did...) round-the-world travel as well as the Aussies.
However, they also told me that the vast majority of Australians are suburbanites - Sydney and Melbourne alone account for a good 1/3 of the Australian population - and have little to nothing in common with Mick Dundee - or Ned Kelly, for that matter.
1950s Kansas is more like it.
Aussies I met in the US, on the other hand, differed pretty drastically from their Europe-touring compatriots, they tended to be rather combative, have huge chips on both shoulders and seemed to feel like they had an obligation to prove that EVERYTHING in Oz was better than everything in the US, California in particular. They also tended to be more of the traditional tourist type - x weeks in LA, SF, New Orleans, Miami, DC, NYC, Boston and off home.
Discovered Australian sports - NRL, AFL - a few years ago, happy to see team sports that hadn't been completely destroyed by the Politically Correct Cancel Culture just yet.
And now......they have Dan Andrews, Gladys Berijiklian (sp ?) and assorted other monsters and are living in Marxist hell.
I think Gladys resigned thank God.

Aussie = pretty beaches and babes!
Funny you should mention that.
You know how they scan the crowd for hotties at football-, baseball- soccer or other European and American sports events ?
Watching AFL and NRL, there seems to be a very noticeable lack of them in the stands - assuming there's anyone in the stands in the Current Year™....
Aussie girls I remember meeting in the 80s and 90s ran the gamut from WOW! to ....ugh........
Many of them tended to be a li'l wide amidships. This has not improved.

Funny you should mention that.
You know how they scan the crowd for hotties at football-, baseball- soccer or other European and American sports events ?
Watching AFL and NRL, there seems to be a very noticeable lack of them in the stands - assuming there's anyone in the stands in the Current Year™....
Aussie girls I remember meeting in the 80s and 90s ran the gamut from WOW! to ....ugh........
Many of them tended to be a li'l wide amidships. This has not improved.
It was a penal colony for what 200 years or so?

Why are gov's afraid of 50cc motors? Doesn't make any sense unless is about $$$$. Electric bikes scare them.

Why are gov's afraid of 50cc motors? Doesn't make any sense unless is about $$$$. Electric bikes scare them.
THEY ARE AFRAID BECAUSE IT GIVES YOU INDEPENDENCE!!!! OMG, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PEOPLE BEING FREE AND MAKING THEIR OWN CHOICES!!! AHHHHHHH WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!! WE CAN'T TRUST PEOPLE, SO LETS GIVE A GROUP OF PEOPLE POWER OVER US!!!! YAAAA, WAIT.........

Back