Motorised Bicycle Laws: Australia

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
I'm just looking over the laws, I think they are illegal in most states unfortunately....
But if your motorised push bike is all hooked up right, can i hop on it with a helmet and pedal through town with the motor off just me pedaling is that legal in Queensland thanks

But if your motorised push bike is all hooked up right, can i hop on it with a helmet and pedal through town with the motor off just me pedaling is that legal in Queensland thanks

That's a bit of a grey area, they might still give you trouble because the bike is technically illegal on paths and road. So they might say that your intention is to ride it with the engine on, even so you were only pedaling it at the time.

"For example, if you can twist a throttle and complete a journey using the bicycle's motor power only, without using the pedals, it is illegal."

"All motorised bicycles with internal combustion engines, for example, petrol or diesel motors, are also illegal.

Illegal motorised bicycles are sometimes offered for sale or hire but must not be ridden on roads and paths. They may only be ridden on private property that isn't accessible to the general public."

Are Mopeds with pedals legal, 50cc from the factory? Are 50cc scooters legal, factory built? To drive on the roads.

Are Mopeds with pedals legal, 50cc from the factory? Are 50cc scooters legal, factory built? To drive on the roads.

50cc factory built scooters are legal on the roads in Australia. You can ride those with just a car licence in some states.

I'm actually not sure about mopeds with pedals from the factory. You simply don't see many of those here.

The below information is a copy/paste which gives some more details.

Engine capacity / top speedMotorcycle licence requiredCar licence acceptable
Riding a Moped or a Scooter in Australia
50cc or less / 50kmph or lessACT, NSW, Tas, VicSA, Qld, WA, NT
More than 50cc / more than 50kmphAll states / territoriesNo states / territories

The Difference Between Scooters and Mopeds

Scooters

Scooters are categorised as ‘motorcycles’ with an engine of 50cc or more, and they aren’t restricted by specific speed. Most scooter engines start at 125cc and will achieve speeds of 80 to 90kph depending on the terrain. [1]

Scooters have a heavier frame than their moped counterparts and are better suited to riding longer distances, especially if you have to travel on freeways or higher-speed roads.

To get on you have to step through the base frame (or chassis) and place your feet on the footrest platform before you start moving. This also allows you to stay closer to the ground and more balanced when you’re stopping or dismounting.

Mopeds

Mopeds, on the other hand, have an engine of up to 50cc and at their fastest can ride up to 50kph. They are lightweight, manoeuvrable, and suitable for metropolitan areas, especially at lower speeds. Similar to scooters, mopeds also have a base frame that you have to step through before you start moving.

When riding you should always try to avoid high-speed road sections (like motorways) and areas where the speed limit is above 50kmph. Otherwise, you may experience some frustration from other motorists, especially if you’re holding up traffic. Depending on the state or territory you are in, you may also be subject to a fine for disrupting traffic if you are travelling below 20kph than the speed limit.

Reference: budgetdirect.com.au/car-insurance/articles/can-i-ride-a-scooter-with-a-car-licence.html

Back