Motorised Bicycle Tacho - Super Simple & low cost

well... good idea but there are mini tachometers that go up to 20,000 rpm for 2 strokes which only cost 30 bucks. so.. thats a little bit of work to do the bike speedo thing, ill just be lazy and get a real tach- which by the way is incredibly simple for install, just wrap the little tach wire around the sparkplug wire and there ya go!

Hi speedracer831

Does the $30 tacho hold max rpm and average rpm figures and does it double as a spare pushbike speedo if one of them fails - where i live (Melbourne, Australia) the police will even give a person riding a bicycle a speeding ticket for travelling 3 kilometers (2 miles an hour) over the speed limit, particularly during school times when all the mums are dropping off and picking up their kids.

In Melbourne, we have the most ridiculous and overly policed speed limits in the world.
I have to watch my speed even riding my pushbike; having a spare speedo is essential.

Fabian

wow they give tickets to bicyclists? in the US the only way you can get a ticket on a bike is running a light or crossing lanes- never for speeding. hmm. let me look at the website and let you know about what it does..
here are the specifications for one type, cant remember where i saw the one that goes to 20,000 rpm.

Simple hour meter with tachomter.
RPM to 9,990.
Option available to reset the hour meter.
Different models for different engine types.
Updates every 2.5 seconds.
Standard wire length is 6 feet. Allow 2-3 weeks for custom orders.
Estimated battery life is 5+ years — not replaceable.
One year warranty. Click here for warranty information.

Hi Speedracer831

Yes, they do give tickets to bicyclists - it's wrong, totally wrong but that's how the system works over here - they are totally and utterly mad.

This specification is what i have a problem with: Updates every 2.5 seconds.
If it updates every 2.5 seconds it's useless for a 2-stroke engine that's rapidly changing rpm's.
It might be fine for a stationary diesel engine doing constant rpm's though, like a generator or water pump.

Having said that, can you buy one of those tachos and have it record "max rpm" and "average rpm" all for $20.

Fabian

Exactly EnFlaMEd

People have lost their car licence for DUI on their roller skates, riding their horse, riding their bicycle, riding a childrens tricycle on the footpath, riding a skateboard and driving their boat and you could loose your licence for riding your dog - utterly mindless behaviour by the roads traffic authority and the police.

How the heck can they connect these recreational devices and animals with a motorised and mechanised vehicle and how the heck can you loose your car licence for driving a boat on water - again - utterly mindless behaviour by the roads traffic authority and the police.

Fabian

Last edited:
well... good idea but there are mini tachometers that go up to 20,000 rpm for 2 strokes which only cost 30 bucks. so.. thats a little bit of work to do the bike speedo thing, ill just be lazy and get a real tach- which by the way is incredibly simple for install, just wrap the little tach wire around the sparkplug wire and there ya go!

That's what I was thinking...and what I have. Mount the little LCD meter to the handlebars, wrap the single wire around the spark plug wire, and you're done. Total install time under 10 minutes. The one I bought (from Staton) also doubles as an hour meter when the engine isn't running, so you know how many hours you have on your engine. The write up is CERTAINLY well thought out and innovative, but I'm not sure it's cost or time effective.

Warner

unless you have shops selling a useless single function tacho for $80 and up through to $250; not having the functions you want - that's what it's like living in Australia - everything is 3 to 5 times of the price of similar products in the U.S.
If you can get an inductive style tacho for $20, then it's worth it if you are not interested in "max rpm" and "average rpm" recall.

Fabian

Back