Motorised bike in the outback

Aussiebiker123

Local time
1:06 AM
G’day fellas I’m looking for some advice regarding a trip I’ve got planned (bit crazy but here goes) So I’m 16 and wanting to do station work (farms) outback, for my bike setup I’ve got a Schwinn steel frame cruiser with 26x1.125 tyres and a 49cc Honda 4 stroke engine with belt drive to chain. Now unlike most of the other things on this site I’ve gotta carry everything (luggage, fuel, water, food, tools ect) which ends up weighing around 60-70kg. (Also I’ve got a whole spare engine with gearbox ect just in case)
Any advice on things to lookout for would be much appreciated
(would be expecting to ride 100km+ a day)
Cheers

I'm guessing you'll be hauling a trailer, so spare stuff for it as well. Good luck on the ride about. Take notes. You might write a best seller on a adventure like that.

Make sure your tire setup is solid. I mean at least two active puncture protection. Nothing worse than having to remove multiple chains, prop up a heavy bike, and change the tube on a hot day. For me, tire liners (retail ones) are such a savior. I have the stock store crappy rubber tires and not one puncture in like 1k+ miles with the liners. I would get a good road tire with solid treads and then a retail tire liner. Not sure what your communication setup and budget or roads (highways or country roads), but make sure you have proper phone to call in any area for help; bring a small portable solar panel to keep things charged. Should be able to charge your camera and other things too. Also, do local long rides with the setup before going to check balance of bike and other small issues that might come up before heading off.

If comms are good, that’s one thing, but plan your checkpoints for at least the first few forays. Water, water, water... There’s great advice in what these folks are offering you above, and they’re speaking from a wealth of experience. Stuff happens, you can’t plan for everything, but A-B-C coverage will get you through almost anything! Sure would liketa hear how this goes for you! 👍

Might want to look into down hill mountain bike tubes. They are extra thick and thorn resistant.

G’day fellas I’m looking for some advice regarding a trip I’ve got planned (bit crazy but here goes) So I’m 16 and wanting to do station work (farms) outback, for my bike setup I’ve got a Schwinn steel frame cruiser with 26x1.125 tyres and a 49cc Honda 4 stroke engine with belt drive to chain. Now unlike most of the other things on this site I’ve gotta carry everything (luggage, fuel, water, food, tools ect) which ends up weighing around 60-70kg. (Also I’ve got a whole spare engine with gearbox ect just in case)
Cheers
well, if your planning on doing that with a motorized bike, here what i would do

get some wider, mtb tires (as wide as you can fit, those 1.1 arnt meant to take a ton of load, plus they will slip if you go on dirt, assuming there like slicks, i recommend WTB velocerapotors if you mainly on dirt, or maxxis holy rollers for 60/40 riding)

get some thick tubes, and put a bit of tubeless sealant in the tubes (or use slime, your choice, it will stop a leak if you puncture the tubes)

i would get a cnc hub mount (i can garentte you you will break a spoke if you keep the rag joint, ask me how i know)
gear it accordingly as well (im thinking a 56t sprocket, should get you around 20mph, and wont strain the clutch or engine)

if you want to go extreme, reinforce the frame with gussets and pipe tubing.

and keep us updated on how this goes, should be interesting to say the least!

Your outback means plenty of red dust so air filters may need your attention . I imagine it gets everywhere . Heat would seem to be a concern also . Check oil regularly . Keep engine free of dust build up in the cooling fins and fan. If your like me when I was 16 just go for it. Water . Gas , cellphone. Tom

Cheers
hey mate
id get thornproof tubes, also a big tall bright orange 4wd flag (so trucks can see you ahead) and two cb walkie talkies.
there is a lot of australia that doesn't have mobile phone coverage.
also the trucks are usually on channel 40 and caravans chanel 20

also let people know where you are going every day. lots of tourists have died in the ausie outback from breaking down

Back