Motorising a ladies frame???

Alright, - seriously back on subject now.

It's been a while since I played in my workshop what with being ill and everything, but this afternoon I stripped down and looked over a Birmingham Hercules ladies sports frame and forks to see if they would be useful as a basis for this project. In the end I decided against them despite their lovely sturdy construction because the forks were too narrow to squeeze a 50 tooth sprocket into along with a Westwood rimmed front wheel.

Sooooo it's back to the Rudge cycleparts. These Rudge forks I'm using will accept a Sturmey Archer rear wheel hub because they were used in an earlier experiment of mine. This means that I've got a set of good strong forks, a good sized oil lubed hub with decent bearings and a 40 spoke wheel to hang a Villiers engine around. The frame I'm using is a fairly plain lugged NZ built ladies sports frame which fits me better than the Birmingham Hercules frame even though the Hercules frame has quite exquisite lugwork and a much better pedigree. One can't have everything afterall (sigh).
The advantage of using a SA rear hub on a 'traction avant' motor-bicycle is that it's much more simple to fit a drive sprocket. I don't really want to bolt the drive sprocket into the spokes HT fashion if I can help it. The method I want to use involves attaching the 50 tooth sprocket I have onto a standard Sturmey Archer sprocket by means of bolts and some cunningly machined spacers. I will show pictures I promise, but don't rush me at this stage of things.

My plan is to get everything serviced and assembled until I have a rolling frame with brakes, handlebars, seat & etc; - essentially a rideable engineless bicycle. Provided it does actually ride Ok and does everything it should, I will then proceed with the engine installation.

It was my great good fortune to purchase some time ago the motor mount and pulley/sprocket drive for an ancient portable shearing machine. This will become my motor-bicycle's engine mount plate and clutch assembly. I really like the idea of having a combination drive belt and chain drive transmission because the drive belt helps to smooth things out and takes away some of the sudden snatch that can happen with an all chain transmission.
Using this kind of motor mount will also enable me to experiment with fitting other engines should I want to. There was a really nice wee 4 stroke J.A.P. engine made many many years ago, - and I'd be absolutely delighted to find one :D

The forecast is for rain tomorrow, so I'll be back in my workshop once I get back from church in the morning. Don't despair I will get some film for my camera so I can record progress and let you see what I'm on about.

Take a gander at this:
http://www.zbox.com.au/zbox-picture-gallery.htm

Yes. A Happy Time Rack mount!

Amazing I think. Looks like it would start the same way too!

So if you can mount this engine on a rack,how difficult would it be then if it was rotated so the engine would be BEHIND the back wheel? Maybe just a bit more fabricating to the carburetor so the float stays right. Then fuel tank can go anywhere above the engine.
Of just leave it like that and have side bags for your stuff.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my word that's just soooooo original :D
The red Mixte further down the page is worth looking at too, - talk about a tight squeeze!

It just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat (in a manner of speaking).

I shall contact John Mann at Motrax right away and ask him as to the whereabouts of my engine. I feel the sudden urge to shape metal coming upon me.....

That would give you gear changing ability.I considered the same setup but with a old Shimano 3 speed hub.Then the NuVinci came along which had twice the range 3.5 instead of 1.7 and I went for that.Looks to me something of a challenge to get that dual reduction + engine all mounted& lined up on top of front wheel.Are these pullstart engines?,this is a freewheel hub.

Yes the Villiers engine I'm using has a pull start (In reality a length of cord wound around a drum on the flywheel which is wonderfully lo-tech). Being able to start the engine first with the bicycle on the stand and then getting myself properly composed before riding away seems to be much more lady-like to me.
Motrax, - my local bicycle engine supplier has a Gen II engine available with a pull start and an autoclutch. I just though I'd mention that as a 'by the way' even though I won't be using one of these myself (or at least not on this bike).
I'm reasonably certain that I'll be able to get all the mechanical gubbins mounted above the front wheel Ok. Studying how the French managed to craft their amazing 'traction avant' autocycles has helped me a good deal in planning out how to do this.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/FrenchCyclemotorAttachments.jpg

That rope start would go well with the street sweeper skirt,having long arms would be helpeful also.I look opon S&A hubs with some suspicion having once been stranded on the ile of Mull in Scotland with a busted clutch.Shifting gears under load is a definite no no.

My sincerest apologies, I should have realized that a person of your obvious refinement&acumen would never stoop to changing gears under inappropriate circumstances.But I must own up to having grave reservations as to wether this lawnmower engine can be started in a sufficiently dignified manner,wether in a skirt or not.I used to have a lawnmower that even my wife, who has been presented to two Queens (one in England one in Holland) and therefore of unassailable credentials, was capable of bringing to life with complete composure and no bad language whatsoever.It involved a wind-up spring device rather like a coffee grinder,equipped with a ratchet.Upon release the mower would usually start.I think you ought look around to find something similar.What is this "stand",would you be lugging this around with you in your travels?

Back