Motorize a 2002 Gary Fisher Marlin

Local time
6:13 AM
I have a 2002 Gary Fisher Marlin that I'd like to put a frame mounted engine on; but I think the gear shift cable on the seat tube will interfere with the engine mount clamp. I was eying the 2- stroke 50 CC on bikeberry.com. Will that work?

P.S. Check my profile for pics of the bike and shift cable.

Last edited:
that front derailer was the first thing I threw away because it itself was in the way. How often would you use it anyhow. You could always just get a new cable and run it right to the derailer without using the frame.

Agreed. Take off the big and little chainrings. Keep the middle. Take off the derailer, cable, and shifter for the front. Mount motor. Or.... If you want to keep the front half of your drivetrain in tact simply cut a groove in the motor mount to clear the cable. Easy Peasy. That'll be a coolio MB. More pics please.

It seems like a I have a few options:

1) Dump the front derailleur (which gear ratios do I lose if I were to do that?)

2) Take off the big and little chainrings, keep the midle chainring and then take off the derailer, cable, and shifter for the front. (sounds like a lot of work for a little problem)

3) If you want to keep the front half of your drivetrain in tact simply cut a groove in the motor mount to clear the cable. (I like this solution, becuase its simple and straightforward.)

If you dump the derailleur... keep all 3 chainrings. you can still stop & manually switch gears, if needed.

I looked at your pics in the gallery... nice bike!

Please, do NOT drill your frame, for the front engine mount!

Last edited:
Like srdavo says, just leave your chain rings alone. There is no need to "bother". It will never effect you in any way.
I've never figured out why they built bikes like that, is it because it looks cool or to try and save two cents worth of the outer cable.
That was why I told you earlier to just replace the cable with an "oldschool' style full length cable that goes from the shifter lever to the derailer. Ten minutes work and five bucks.

Back