Motorize Bike Packing

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are quite a few bicyclist blogs on the Internet. Some have made trips without even a 49cc engine from the Pacific to the Atlantic. Some travel with only 2 paniers, while some pull small trailers. The difference between a bicycle and a motor bicycle is what you or someone else attached to it.

You need to a be decent mechanic, able to diagnose and fix your engine problems. If you breakdown, you will need a supply source, someone that can overnight ship you what you need, up to and including a new engine kit. A good basic tool kit, along with a few extra "parts" like an extra tire, inner tube, a flat kit with lots of patches, etc.. If you break down in the middle of nowhere and need a part or supply, call your supply base and have it sent general delivery to the next town's post office. It may take 2 days, but you will be on your way. A cell phone with an extra battery will be a lifesaver.
Thanks for the suggestions I did take a few trips when I was a kid about 7 - 10 years old on a friction tire from Zootah to Washington DC they were blown away to hear of my means of transportation also escape from Zootah to the Atllantic Coast. I think I saw somwhere a bike charger for a cell phone why not solar?

Here are some journals of bicycle riders that have made trips from around the world.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doctype=journal
Thanks for the link, Im sure I will find something in them.
when I was taking hundred mile trip, guess I was obvious with a big navy duffle bag (think I got to have 2 to make a saddlebag for my next trip) I had 2 old ladies came out exhuberant to tell me they admire me for the bike packing one lady said her son took a bicycle trip across China took him 2 years to cross it she said he had some awesome pics sent back the next one said her son is right now in Afghanistan doing a bicycle tour across country she too said he was senting her awesome pictures, wow I dred pedaling and through what could be revenge country!

SO, how long can you run a 2 stroke at a time? Motorized bikes are not made to travel long distances. BUT, you would have to start out with a very good (read expensive) bicycle. I have a friend who has cycled across Europe, Southeast Asia, and Australia. Here is the link to my brother's travel blog.

I did 1200 miles round trip once to tail of the dragon, I brought a spare piston with rings on it, some wheel grease, brake pads, wheel bearings, and the normal stuff like a small pump, patch kit, couple extra tubes, sockets, vise grips, screwdrivers, zip ties, etc. all that plus a tarp and paracord, 2 liters of water, and a couple cans of sardines between my backpack and saddle bags.

I ended up not needing the spare piston but it's worth having. I definitely used the wheel grease and brake pads but that's more a factor of where I went than how far I went, as tail of the dragon isn't exactly easy on a bike. I preemptively changed the top end bearing before and after the trip, it's cheap insurance against getting stranded in Deliverance territory.

Last edited:
SO, how long can you run a 2 stroke at a time? Motorized bikes are not made to travel long distances. BUT, you would have to start out with a very good (read expensive) bicycle. I have a friend who has cycled across Europe, Southeast Asia, and Australia. Here is the link to my brother's travel blog.
I spent about $500 on the bike I brought to tail of the dragon. if you're smart about it you can get most of the parts you need by either dumpster diving (got me a trek kids bike last time, lots of good parts though the frame and wheels aren't something I can use) or hitting thrift shops and yard sales for $10 bikes. the only things I paid retail price for were the motor (which I had originally gotten as a spare just to keep around in case I needed it) and the frame (a knockoff skyhawk frame from when gasbike was selling them for $99)

I think you better chink your link unless it was a joke that was cystic not cyclist.
But, when I was a young man I got my airmans certificate at an early age I went to almost every country on Earth it scares me now HOW IN THE HELL DID I SURVIVE I went to cannibal islands you name it I guess most were intrique at my my young blue eyes and age, don't wanna do it again unless force.

I think you better chink your link unless it was a joke that was cystic not cyclist.
But, when I was a young man I got my airmans certificate at an early age I went to almost every country on Earth it scares me now HOW IN THE HELL DID I SURVIVE I went to cannibal islands you name it I guess most were intrique at my my young blue eyes and age, don't wanna do it again unless force.
I heard that blue eyes are especially tasty. Must have been some other reason they didn't eat you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back