Motorizebike law in florida

At least electric bicycles are exempt from a DL. If it were me and had DL issues I'd get the longest range electric and just enjoy the ride legally. FL is no joke when it comes to crime and punishment.

At least electric bicycles are exempt from a DL. If it were me and had DL issues I'd get the longest range electric and just enjoy the ride legally. FL is no joke when it comes to crime and punishment.
And even then, under Florida Law, your electric bike MUST have pedals on it to qualify...Folks have actually been arrested, not just cited for this.
Also i have read that those who have lost their D/Ls still are not allowed to drive what Florida calls Motorised bicycles, (Electric/pedal powered bikes),
in order to try to circumvent their license suspension/revocation laws.

Indeed, Florida is NO JOKE when enforcing these laws...DAMIEN

Ps...Florida has more liberal gun laws than they do Motorised Bicycle laws...That state is not user friendly to the likes of M/B riders...lol...DAMIEN

Last edited:
M/B Moped are very popular in Florida it has no hills. I guess their so popular they made strict laws and enforce them too.

How can FL prevent someone from riding an ebike that has a suspended DL when no DL is required? Someone is going to need to prove that in a link, doesn't pass the smell test. Damien?

How can FL prevent someone from riding an ebike that has a suspended DL when no DL is required? Someone is going to need to prove that in a link, doesn't pass the smell test. Damien?
Without pedals it's going to take a much higher watt motor to self propel. Florida like most states has a 750w limit that doesn't require a license but you must be at least 16. Even if it has pedals if the motor is higher than 750w then just like a gas engine it too will have to go through procedure RS-68 to qualify as a moped and then will also require a driver's license.

Without pedals it's going to take a much higher watt motor to self propel. Florida like most states has a 750w limit that doesn't require a license but you must be at least 16. Even if it has pedals if the motor is higher than 750w then just like a gas engine it too will have to go through procedure RS-68 to qualify as a moped and then will also require a driver's license.
No pedals and/or is able to exceed 20 plus MPH Florida will bag you if your on suspended or revoked license or just no license at all...They are primarily looking for ways to go after drunk drivers etc, trying to skirt the law with these bikes, so are looking at loop holes in their own laws to do so...As a retired cop, i can tell you this is normal SOP...You have to be "creative"...lol...DAMIEN

FLORIDA CASE LAW: ELECTRIC “SCOOTERS”​

Florida courts have further rejected the argument that an electric scooter is not a “motor vehicle” in the context of a charge brought under Section 322.34, Florida Statutes (driving on a suspended or revoked license). In Inman v. State, 916 So. 2d 59 (Fla. 2d DCA 2005), the defendant was cited for driving on a suspended or revoked driver’s license while driving a seated, two-wheeled, battery powered electric scooter on a public street. The scooter did not have pedals and thus was powered exclusively by its electric motor. The defendant moved to dismiss the charge, arguing that a scooter with an electric motor was not a motor vehicle as defined in Chapter 322.

On appeal, the Second District Court of Appeal of Florida held that, because the defendant’s vehicle did not operate by a combination of an electric motor and human pedaling, the vehicle fell outside of the definition of motorized bicycle as contained in Section 322.01(27). Thus, the defendant could be properly convicted of driving on a suspended or revoked license, even if his electric scooter had many of the key attributes of a motorized bicycle.

Last edited:
Back