Motorized bicycle build help

Can anyone comment on the mongoose mack? Is there a mtn bike one that'd work for around the price or any others?

So I need a chain tensioner additional to the one in the kit?

Is fixing the "hub adapter" all that's needed to make any bike good or just some bikes?

In my opinion all bikes need an updated sprocket adapter. In the case of a rear disc bike, you just have to drill holes. That's cheaper and more solid than the $50 hub adapter because it's directly screwed into to the hub of your wheel instead of clamping down on the hub or spokes. In terms of the chain tensioner, you should either try to not use one at all or upgrade to one that is more solidly mounted.

What bike should I get? Any other recommendations?
How fast do these go? What about hills?
The knight rider, while comming from bicycle motor works, is still a huffy Nel lusso, I would say it would be completely cheaper to pick it up from a Walmart than to have it shipped, then just get a motor separately.

I would also say that unless you want to rebuild the rear wheel on the lusso you shouldn't buy one. Try a sturdy steel bike that has brakes on both wheels, and to save headaches get one without a coaster brake.

Mongoose is a decent brand, they usually have fairly good parts but I notice their stock disk brake calipers tend to be kind of junky, and since I had them fail and by luck didn't get into an accident I would choose to upgrade them to at least good brand of cheap brakes, avid bb5s are cheap enough and are acceptable for reliability.

If you get a fat tire bike be ready to get more parts for shifting the motor over or get a jackshaft. Fat tires make for a very nice ride.

Did you look around in Craigslist? How much are you willing to spend, reliability comes at a cost, worth the investment though.

What bike should I get? Any other recommendations?
How fast do these go? What about hills?
Specs-wise, that's the best deal within the "affordable bike" category I know of. Even if you have to replace the disc brakes, it's a cheap upgrade and the fact that it's even possible without replacing half the bike has value. Most bikes in this price range don't have disc hub wheels or even disc mounts. Now add the steel frame and magwheels and you have a pretty solid starting point.

Do those mag wheels not need be adjusted for trueness? What about the granite peak bike?

Do those mag wheels not need be adjusted for trueness? What about the granite peak bike?

So all I'd need is that, the engine kit, and hub adapter?

Will the bike struggle up hill? Is this comparable to a 50cc scooter?

What would I need to operate both brakes with one handle? Is this necessary?

I'm really considering investing in this bike but I'm scared, and the rims do look a little funny.

Any additional advice?

Where can I get the hub adapter and do I need a sprocket? How fast will the bike go? Are these similar to the gas scooters that you stand up on power wise? Will it make it up medium grade hills?

So the back brake gets disabled in the video?

And again, the extra price of the mongoose mack vs huffy cranbrook or nel lusso is because it has disk brakes? Why would the rear end of the nel lusso need to be changed? What about the huffy cranbrook?
Why stay away from bikes with a pedal brake?

Lastly, what all would I need for installing a shift kit? Is there any opinion on this?

Last edited:
What would I need to operate both brakes with one handle? Is this necessary?

I'm really considering investing in this bike but I'm scared, and the rims do look a little funny.

Any additional advice?

Where can I get the hub adapter and do I need a sprocket? How fast will the bike go? Are these similar to the gas scooters that you stand up on power wise? Will it make it up medium grade hills?

So the back brake gets disabled in the video?

And again, the extra price of the mongoose mack vs huffy cranbrook or nel lusso is because it has disk brakes? Why would the rear end of the nel lusso need to be changed? What about the huffy cranbrook?
Why stay away from bikes with a pedal brake?

Lastly, what all would I need for installing a shift kit? Is there any opinion on this?
I'm not saying all coasters are necessarily bad, but the lusso seems to just fail there like it was nobody's business, bad parts maybe or just especially weak parts.

If going direct drive with a coaster you have to deal with that mechanism every time to take the back wheel off, including adjusting for the large left side sprocket. Also can't backpedal before a start to help get momentum before letting the clutch go. On a hill starting from a stop could be next to impossible if you don't have especially strong legs lol...

Sickbikeparts.com is where you get a good reliable shift kit, and all related instructions are on the website, if you can install an engine correctly then you should be just as capable of installing a shift kit.

If you have a shift kit then basically you can't have a coaster brake. I mean you can but that would be stupid, you'd have an overly complex single speed transmission lol...

Back