Motorized Bicycle Laws by states

Questions on Melbourne's legal rules

In many parts of America, the laws surrounding motorized bicycles are much more sensible than in Australia.

In Australia, a motorized bicycle engine must not have more than 0.27 horsepower (you read that right - zero point two seven horsepower) and is commonly understood not to be allowed to travel faster than 12.54 miles per hour.

Hi Fabian,
I see that from your profile that you are from Melbourne, I am from Melbourne too(international student). I am considering to buying a petrol engine to fit onto my bicycle so that I can get from home to the CBD & other places. However, i am very concerned with the legality of having a 250w engine I can't seem to find much information regarding the legality with motorized bicycle and it is rare to see one on the road. Is it illegal to be riding a motorized bike? Would be legal if you get a motor from zbox which has a certified 200w limit or it makes no difference at all? What is your experience so far with the police? What advice would you give me regarding riding a petrol powered bicycle? Do I need to keep to the 20kph limit? What are the dos and donts to avoid trouble with the police? What is the police viewpoint on this matter?

I wouldnt want to take any risk if the fines are high and it is not worth the money at the end of the day.

I really appreciate your help and your valuable experience. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer!

Thanks so much!

Regards,
John

Hello John

A friend of mine is a police office in the Victorian highway patrol so i have the most up to date information, which even at this point in time isn't well known to most police officers, unless they search for the correct rules and regulations.

As things are, and because most police officers and councils still refer to the rules that they are familiar with, you'll find that """any""" motorised bicycle with a petrol powered engine is considered to be "illegal", because the view held by police makes note that "any" petrol powered bicycle exceeds the 200 watt power limit and can exceed 20 k/ph, thereby falling into the category of a proper motorbike.

When your motorised bicycle is categorised as a motorbike it breaks just about every rule in the book: becoming an unregistered vehicle, a non emissions compliant vehicle, a non ADR compliant vehicle, and a vehicle which requires a motorcycle licence.
By the time it's all said and done, the traffic operations police can hit you with infringement fines of around $3,000+ and even more if you don't have a valid motorcycle licence and you don't even want to think about how much trouble you'll be in if riding the bike DUI.

Because of the situation in Victoria, i have $3,000 set aside in my bank account for the day when a highway patrol police officer pulls me over and hits me with every infringement and issues penalty notices for every one of those infringements.

That said, i enjoy riding my bike more than the $3,000+ worth of fines.
Every day i ride my bike is another day closer to meeting that police officer who wants to make an example of me.

New York question.

So anyone get around this http://dmv.ny.gov/node/1984 by adding blinkers, spedo and running lights?

"Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle doesn't qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and doesn't have the same equipment."

I figured i might be able to add all the stuff and register it as a home made non highway motorcycle, I'm sure someone must have tried that by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
NY is a giant black hole for motorized bicycle hobby

New York question.

So anyone get around this http://dmv.ny.gov/node/1984 by adding blinkers, spedo and running lights?

"Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle doesn't qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and doesn't have the same equipment."

I figured i might be able to add all the stuff and register it as a home made non highway motorcycle, I'm sure someone must have tried that by now.

Unfortunately like everything else in NY it is listed in the unregistered category because it's top speed can not be certified by some bureaucracy. While the motor might have a rating on it the sprockets can be difficult to make the speed standard. Therefore NY won't let you register it no matter if it has lights, horn, mirrors, speedo. You can search or speak with your local DMV supervisor. Here is the stink of it, if you read the New York State DMV posting for non registered vehicles prohibited for use on SIDEWALKS, parking lots and streets. It includes any motorized scooter or go kart. However you can go to Toys R Us and buy a Power Wheels Jeep for your kid, to use on the sidewalk or any number of the hundreds of electric powered scooters. In which case the police will never bother your kids for doing so. Ride a motorized bicycle in the street and "some" cops lose their minds.
Headlight, taillight/turn signals/horn and handlebars rear view mirrors and helmet. I was operating it carefully and safely at the curb line, out of traffic on side streets only. I was told I could not operate it in the street and that if I was seen operating it again. I could have been given a ticket for operating any illegal vehicle in a public street and the bike could be seized. I am friends with several local police officers. The police officer who pulled me over I did not know; however he was nice enough to sit with me and look up on his computer the laws for motorized bicycles. I was then informed and read the statement for myself that it was an unregistered vehicle. I had read the DMV site 2 years ago and motorized bicycles were allowed in as long as they had lights, horn and a helmet. I still ride it but only up and down my own street. if you can find out something different please post back. I've put some money into my motorized bicycle and would love to use it more. if I have to invest a little more into it I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes because a bicycle with a motor on it is such a detriment to society. fortunately if the rider is smart enough to build it then there is a chance they're smart enough to ride it safely...most of them at least. since i'm legally blind (like 10 pts off the vision test, mind you) i can't get a license. my bike is my car essentially. i can't register it here in michigan cause if i got pulled over i would be in bigger trouble if it were registered, right?

According to this Indiana website you can go up to 35 MPH and have a motor under 50cc and still be legal. The only thing that is required is to get an Indiana state ID with the proper endorsement. It also says nothing about having a transmission, which is great. It sounds like they have some pretty liberal laws regarding MB's. Now if only they could get their sh_t together with MM laws it would be alright. http://www.in.gov/bmv/3220.htm

Back