Motorized Bicycle Laws: United States

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Also I do not know what the word "titling" means according to road rules and the Law
In other words a Motor Vehicle TITLE issued by a motor vehicle dept...You cannot register a bicycle in any form in NM...same with a title and bicycles cannot obtain motor vehicle insurance.

This quote says it all.

Motorized Bicycles are not considered to be mopeds or motorcycles.
and this quote.
By current MVD practice, motorized bicycles are considered to be bicycles (not mopeds or motorcycles) and are not subject to the titling and registration requirements of the Motor Vehicle Code.
And therefore need to be referred to as bicycles...I also ran this by a Judge in the 12th district court here who said i was correct in legal interpretation...DAMIEN

Ps...most recent amendment in law to include this wording was in 2017.

Anton I filled out your chart by using the reply then going into that. I also added the automatic transmission clause. Many state laws superficially state no manual shifting or manual clutching.

This is why I made a bike that shifted gears automatically. Large people, steep hills and small cc size means you must have gears. Yes I've retired my auto shift bike.

I'm currently building a Schwinn Sidewinder featuring a triple chainring shift kit. Though technically not legal due to manual shifting; according to Tennessee laws. The cops in my city don't care. All they are concerned with is that you obey the traffic laws and stay under 30 mph.

Last edited:
In other words a Motor Vehicle TITLE issued by a motor vehicle dept...You cannot register a bicycle in any form in NM...same with a title and bicycles cannot obtain motor vehicle insurance.

This quote says it all.

and this quote.

And therefore need to be referred to as bicycles...I also ran this by a Judge in the 12th district court here who said i was correct in legal interpretation...DAMIEN

Ps...most recent amendment in law to include this wording was in 2017.
You can think what you like but I am certain that this is a legal term that has nothing to do with the DMV but a term used in the courts of law

What is the title of the law?
In reference to a code. In reference to a code (such as the United States Code), the word title refers to the broad subject heading under which a law is classified. For example, the United States Code is organized into fifty titles, each title pertaining to a particular subject. 18 U.S.C.

Title (legislation) | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

https://www.law.cornell.edu › Wex

I do not want argue American laws with you, This is my opinion take it as it is.

Anton I filled out your chart by using the reply then going into that. I also added the automatic transmission clause. Many state laws superficially state no manual shifting or manual clutching.

This is why I made a bike that shifted gears automatically. Large people, steep hills and small cc size means you must have gears. Yes I've retired my auto shift bike.

I'm currently building a Schwinn Sidewinder featuring a triple chainring shift kit. Though technically not legal due to manual shifting; according to Tennessee laws. The cops in my city don't care. All they are concerned with is that you obey the traffic laws and stay under 30 mph.
To easy, I've added Tennessee laws and an Auto Transmission column. You can also click the "edit" button just below the first post and edit / update anything yourself if needed :)

In my state Tennessee a 15 year old must wear a helmet. Must have a learners permit. Must stay within 7 miles of their residence. Must only be out during the day light hours. A 16 year old with a driver's license is allowed all the privileges as a licensed adult.

Last edited:

This Cornel University, School of Law link is referring to Federal laws in the US referring to the "Brady Bill" gun control legislation as well as The Civil Rights Act...I fail to see what this referrence has to do with State of New Mexico motor vehicle laws whatsoever so i guess its a good thing that you do not "want to argue American laws" with me then...lol...You are referring to United States Criminal Code 18,...Not State of New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code Chapter 18 Section D and E...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...I did take 2 years of law school at Suffolk University, Commonwealth of Massachusetts until i ran out of money...lol...Its called the "Poor" mans Harvard...lol...It just made me a little poorer during my cop days...Yep...I used to be a cop until i retired from that in 1989, started being one in 1975...(14 years "on the job"),...From 89 to 2010 was an ASE certified master mechanic, then retired fully at that time.

Last edited:
StateDriver's LicenseMotorcycle LicenseTitleRegistrationInsuranceHelmetMinimum AgeMax CC's / PowerAuto Transmission Required
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
CaliforniaN
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
MinnesotaDrivers license or Motorized bike operator permitNoNoyes, annual 6$ a yearno? could not find info on itif under 18 Yes15 to get a Motorized bike license
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Nevada
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
TennesseeYesNoNoNoNoNo15
With restrictions.
50cc / 2hpYes
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

I edited the 15 minimum age in Tennessee to 15 with restrictions. These restrictions are listed in the Tennessee DMV driver's handbook.

Last edited:
Back