Motorized Bicycle Laws: United States

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Anton

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
9:30 AM
StateDriver's LicenseMotorcycle LicenseRegistrationTitlePlatesInsuranceHelmetMinimum AgeMaximum PowerAuto Transmission RequiredBike Lane AllowedMaximum Speed
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
CaliforniaNoClass M2YesNoYesNo4bhpYes30mph
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
FloridaClass ENoYesNoYesNoNo1650cc / 2hpYesYes - street bike lane | No - bike path sidewalks30mph
StateDriver's LicenseMotorcycle LicenseRegistrationTitlePlatesInsuranceHelmetMinimum AgeMaximum PowerAuto Transmission RequiredBike Lane AllowedMaximum Speed
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
MichiganDrivers license or Moped licenseNoYes, $15 every three yearsNoNo15 to get a Moped license100ccYes30mph
MinnesotaDrivers license or Motorized bike operator permitNoYes, annual $6 a yearNono? could not find info on itYes, if under 1815 to get a Motorized bike license
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New MexicoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoYesNo
New York
Nevada
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
OregonNoNoNoNoNoNoYes1635cc to 50ccNoYes30mph
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South CarolinaYes, any kind. Special moped license available $25 and it's good for 8 years..No.Yes.Optional, not required..Yes $15No.Under 18yo only.14yo with Learners permit and some accompanimen2 horsepower or 750 - 1500 watts electricYes.30mph.
South Dakota
TennesseeYesNoNoNoNoYes if 15 / No if 16 or older15 with restrictions50cc / 2hpYesYes under 30mph30mph
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
WyomingNoNoNoNo150cc / 5bhp

Last edited:
digital_life said:
If you ever add Canada, in Ontario it's been l legal since 2015.
Also you might want to add the minimum Age requirements Max cc's, max HP or kilowatts power. I can't remember the exact KW's one of these day's if I remember I will look it up.

Code:
Province    Drivers Licence        Helmet        Minimum Age        Registration        Insurance    Maximum CC's        HP
Ontario        ? No                Yes            16          No                    ? No            49cc                Approx 0.4kw

Edit: Just seen your last post done while I was typing I may look int this later.

Feel free to add / remove columns as necessary. Just click the edit button beneath the first post.

Last edited:
I tried to Edit California because ya don't need Insurance but IDK what I'm doing, Sorry

I tried to Edit California because ya don't need Insurance but IDK what I'm doing, Sorry
Looks like it worked just fine, it keeps all the history so if you mess anything up we can just revert it back :)

Looks like it worked just fine, it keeps all the history so if you mess anything up we can just revert it back :)

Hi Anton,

Your talking to a guy too stupid to use a smart phone, yet i was able to figure out how to turn it into a stupid phone by turning everything off or uninstalling stuff until all that is left is just the phone...And it still works and thats all i want it for...lol...all my friends are stunned i did it.

Here is one ive got for the wiki for New Mexico, but im a little dense as to exactly how to enter info that is here...I post the link for your your consideration to see if its post-able info...i couldnt figure just how to enter this info that would make any real, factual sense since it disagrees with the official one posted, yet the State of New Mexico goes by Section D and Section E when referring to M/Bs...DAMIEN

In Particular...Section E covering Motorised bicycles, which the State calls just bicycles, then just refer to Section D for bicycle laws.

Last edited:
Hi Anton,

Your talking to a guy too stupid to use a smart phone, yet i was able to figure out how to turn it into a stupid phone by turning everything off or uninstalling stuff until all that is left is just the phone...And it still works and thats all i want it for...lol...all my friends are stunned i did it.

Here is one ive got for the wiki for New Mexico, but im a little dense as to exactly how to enter info that is here...I post the link for your your consideration to see if its post-able info...i couldnt figure just how to enter this info that would make any real, factual sense since it disagrees with the official one posted, yet the State of New Mexico goes by Section D and Section E when referring to M/Bs...DAMIEN

In Particular...Section E covering Motorised bicycles, which the State calls just bicycles, then just refer to Section D for bicycle laws.

I was going to help you with that but just looked at the laws for motorized bicycle in NM and it looks like it is possible it is illegal, Have you ever been pulled over and have a cop that let go without a fine.

Specifically in the motorized bike law.
Motorized Bicycles are not considered to be mopeds or motorcycles.

By current MVD practice, motorized bicycles are considered to be bicycles (not mopeds or motorcycles) and are not subject to the titling and registration requirements of the Motor Vehicle Code.

Now the first line in the bicycle
A bicycle is a device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, except scooters and similar devices.
If you ask me everything after the word "except" and "similar devices" applies to a bike with a motor on it.

Also I do not know what the word "titling" means according to road rules and the terms courts use in Law

Last edited:
StateDriver's LicenseMotorcycle LicenseTitleRegistrationInsuranceHelmetMinimum AgeMax CC's / Power
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
CaliforniaN
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
MinnesotaDrivers license or Motorized bike operator permitNoNoyes, annual 6$ a yearno? could not find info on itif under 18 Yes15 to get a Motorized bike license
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Nevada
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee Yes NoNo No No No 15 50cc
2 hp
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Have you ever been pulled over and have a cop that let go without a fine.
ive been pulled over by regular police, state police as well as county sheriffs only for the purpose of getting a better look at the bike and complimenting me for the work ive done on it...never asked for license, reg or insurance and they know of section e in the motor vehicle code...DAMIEN

Back