Motorized Bicycles Laws and Registration California

So to clarify, I will need an M1 and registration of my bike to legally ride my motorized bike on the street in CA?
Or can i just register, and be done wit it.
You need both to be legal, but only need one to keep the police off you, they can't pull you over under the assumption that the rider does not have a license, they can pull you over for just not having a plate.

Put a plate on it and hope you don't break any traffic laws or end up in any accidents, or just get the m2 and plate and not worry at all.

Hi I am Richard Dunkle I just recently built a motorized bicycle with an 80 mL motor and what I’d like to find out is how do I get a license plate for this what steps do I need to do a can I do it online thank you

A quote from @Tyler6357...He lives in Caifornia and has already registered his bike....Welcome to the forums...DAMIEN

To get your bike registered in CA you will have to spend $21 to get your registration and license plate. There are no renewal fees or stickers, it's good for the life of your bike. To register fill out sections 1,2 and 5 of form: Reg 230, sign it, send payment and mail it to the address on the form----> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/03/reg230.pdf

When filling out the form use the serial number of your bicycle as the vehicle identification number (VIN). Also, since most of the 2 stroke 'china girl' engines have no serial number stamped on them when the DMV form asks for the engine serial number, it is acceptable to use the bicycle serial number and put an "E" in front of it in the spot on the form for engine number. "E" stands for engine. If the engine ever fails and you want to put a new one on your bike, you will not need to change your DMV registration. Leave the CA license plate spot blank, they will fill in a number once they assign one to you. Okay, that's it, send it in, wait 3 weeks, license plate and reg will arrive in the mail, no need to bring your bike to the DMV or anything, no inspections required.

Back