Motorized Bicycles Laws and Registration California

If someone else owned the bike and I bought it from a custom builder. How do i get the plate if its been registered? Any help?

Anyone outthere know how to register a frame that has already been registered but dont know the last owner.

Hello all, noob here, I am 16 and just finished a motorized bike. I live in CA. Do I need M1 registration AND a drivers license? Or can I legally ride my MB with just the M1? Thanks!

Hello all, noob here, I am 16 and just finished a motorized bike. I live in CA. Do I need M1 registration AND a drivers license? Or can I legally ride my MB with just the M1? Thanks!
An M1 motorcycle license or a M2 moped license is required to ride a bicycle powered by an internal combustion engine that goes no faster than 30 mph on public roads in CA.

Registration and a license plate is required. Fill out this form and pay $21 (check or money order), sign it and send it in. For the VIN #, use the bicycle serial #, for the engine #, put an E in front of the bicycle serial # (E is for engine). Registration is a one time only fee good for the life of the bike, no renewal is required.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/reg/reg230

Last edited:
So to clarify, I will need an M1 and registration of my bike to legally ride my motorized bike on the street in CA?
Or can i just register, and be done wit it.

Back