Motorized Bicyclist Bust: Can this happen to YOU ?

I try to only ride on the right side of the white line when possible. Ridden past plenty of city police and sheriff's deputies, they don't even look twice at me. Might be the size of the town I am in. Not sure.

yeh, i try to do that too but sometimes there are big stones and branches and glass and anything else from cars that gets pushed to the side of the road. and, there are always little stones that makes leaning into a turn with thin wheels precarious. i like to ride on the white line because its really smooth and due to the smoothness free of rocks and crap.

yeh, i try to do that too but sometimes there are big stones and branches and glass and anything else from cars that gets pushed to the side of the road. and, there are always little stones that makes leaning into a turn with thin wheels precarious. i like to ride on the white line because its really smooth and due to the smoothness free of rocks and crap.
I ride like that when I ride in town but since I live way out in no where all the roads near me are 35mph speed limits so I ride with traffic....

I don't like riding slow on these roads because people will run you over.
My problem with side roads is all the rocks and mud on the road, and with slick tires that gets tricky sometimes:)

I ride like that when I ride in town but since I live way out in no where all the roads near me are 35mph speed limits so I ride with traffic....

I don't like riding slow on these roads because people will run you over.
My problem with side roads is all the rocks and mud on the road, and with slick tires that gets tricky sometimes:)

I agree with that.

"Having a loud exhaust, like an expansion chamber on a 2 stroke also attracts attention"
I'd suppose riding on a pair of 5" FAT TIRES might also attract some attention. It is really true you can ride in a foot of snow with those by the way ??

_

I live in a town of about one hundred and sixty. I'm the only one with a motorized bike. Across the highway is where I work it's an hour and half walk to work but a ten min ride. I hadn't had the pleasure of running into a nhp. So I'm very curious of what would happen. I really like that post though it's a good one.

In my state, pedal bikes are not allowed to be ridden in a traffic lane. That's why there are bike lanes. Motorized bikes do not get any special privileges over pedal bikes. They are still bicycles, which is why they require no license, registration, or insurance. Only a very fit cyclist could reach 30 mph, and then only on a very light road bike. 30 mph is nowhere near realistic bicycle speeds. Most pedal bikes around here never exceed 10 mph. The only exceptions seem to be the spandex crowd. And they are certainly physically fit. But they don't ride 30 mph. The law in my state says "motor ASSISTED bicycles, not to exceed 48cc and 20 mph. However, there is also a "reasonable and prudent" speed law. 20 mph can still get you a ticket if riding that fast puts anyone in danger. The only time I ride 20 mph, which is pretty much the top speed for my friction drive bike, is outside the city limits, on the shoulders of rural roads, with speed limits up to 65 mph. There are MANY pedal cyclists who ride on these roads. If you come up behind one, you must slow down, and wait for a chance to move out onto into a traffic lane to pass. NEVER pass another bicycle on the shoulder. Remember, motorized bicycles are NOT motorcycles, and cannot be ridden as such. They are simply bicycles that you do not have to pedal.

I live in the suburban Phoenix area, where it is none too safe to ride a bicycle. But I am close to the edge of it, in the last city to the south, so it is a fairly short ride out of town to rural country roads. Every time I ride, I take the shortest way out of town. I like to take 100 mile rides out in the country. When I need to go somewhere in town, I take a car.

Article of interest regarding riders being arrested in La Salle, IL; the motors on their bikes were too big.

http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=28&ArticleID=52614

Motorized bicycles are such a wonderful thing, but like anything else, there just has to be somebody out there (in this case a lot of somebodys) that just have to push things, using illegal motors and going too fast. They are going to ruin it for us that obey the law. I can see absolutely NO reason to want to go more than 20 mph on a motorized bicycle. Bicycles are not designed to have motors, so just putting a motor on one at all is seriously increasing the risk of problems. Trying to turn a bicycle into a motorcycle is just asking for it, and I have no sympathy for those that do it. If you want motorcycle speeds, get a motorcycle, get a license, registration and insurance and have at it. Kymco has a new 125cc motorcycle called the K-Pipe for $2000 that should be just perfect for those who want a small bike, but want higher speeds.

Back