Motorized Bicyclist Killed

struck and killed on the on-ramp from Route 110 to I-495 in Methuen
It looks to me like he was trying to get on an Interstate highway.
I wonder what he was running to be able to ride at highway speeds on a bicycle.
And whats with 'got off the sidewalk thing'?
No bicycles are allowed on the sidewalks here.
Bike Lanes are OK to use here, but it depends on your local law enforcement.

Last edited:
USE BRIGHT LIGHTS WHEN RIDING AT NIGHT!!!

March 28, 2018 09:30 PM

A man in his 60s was killed Wednesday night when a small sedan collided with the motorized bicycle he was riding in south Wichita, police said.

The collision was reported just after 9 p.m. at K-15 and 31st Street South, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. The bicyclist was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:19 p.m.
Both vehicles were traveling south on K-15 just south of the intersection with 31st Street South when they collided just before 9 p.m., Lt. Drew Seiler said. The force of the impact drove both vehicles farther south along K-15.

The collision happened across from a QuikTrip, and Seiler said several witnesses stayed on the scene to try to provide assistance to the injured man. He was not wearing reflective clothing even though he was riding at night, Seiler said.

The motorized bicycle was so badly crumpled in the collision it's not immediately clear whether it had the required tail light and headlight, Seiler said.

The man was identified as Richard Shockley, 64, of Wichita, by Wichita police Officer Charley Davidson on Thursday.

A 23-year-old woman was driving the 2013 Hyundai Elantra that hit the bicycle, Davidson said. She was not injured.

Southbound K-15 remained closed at the intersection with 31st Street South nearly two hours after the collision occurred.

It looks to me like he was trying to get on an Interstate highway.
I wonder what he was running to be able to ride at highway speeds on a bicycle.
And whats with 'got off the sidewalk thing'?
No bicycles are allowed on the sidewalks here.
Bike Lanes are OK to use here, but it depends on your local law enforcement.
From the video I watched it occurred on the street crossing the off-ramp intersection. Looked like a China girl on a macargi beach cruiser.

More with no lights and only a front reflector... I'm thinking about getting a reflective vest :confused:.

Bicyclist killed after being hit by truck, car

SHREVEPORT TIMES | 9:34 am CDT April 25, 2018

Shreveport Police are investigating a crash that claimed the life of an east Texas man Tuesday night.
Just after 9:15 p.m., Shreveport Police responded to reports of a crash involving two automobiles and a bicyclist in the 4400 block of Hilry Huckaby III Avenue. When officers arrived on scene they were notified by Shreveport Fire department that the cyclist involved in the accident was deceased on scene.
Through witness information and evidence gathered at the scene, investigators learned that 41-year-old Christopher Parker of Marshall, Texas, was riding his motorized bicycle in the east bound lane of the 4400 block of Hilry Huckaby III Avenue when he was struck by a Ford pickup, driven by 50-year-old Nathaniel Johnson.
After impact, Parker was thrown from the bicycle and into the west bound lane of travel and was struck by a Dodge Challenger, driven by 31-year-old Jessica Davis.
Upon inspection of Parker’s bicycle, it was learned that it only had a front reflector and was not equipped with a flashing safety light as required by law. Parker was also not wearing a DOT approved helmet.
Both automobile operators were transported to the Shreveport Police Complex where they voluntarily submitted to the required chemical testing.
Shreveport Police remind cyclists to equip their bicycles with lights and reflectors, wear bright reflective clothing, and always wear a helmet.

I might look like an ugly yellow marshmallow but I always wear that bright reflective shirt, day and night! Helmet 99.99% of the time, litteraly only if an impromptu ride occurs while diagnosing a funky bike for someone does it get skipped, because I wouldn't have it with me at the time.

A 10w led headlamp is still not enough, the more lights the better of course but there are just some people who couldn't see the sun even if they were standing on the surface of mercury. You are better off establishing specific routes that you use over and over and take the time to predict everyone else's moves instead of letting them do it for you. Come to stops more often and ride slower when coming to and through most every intersection. Purposely use routes that see less traffic even if it will take longer or is less direct, really a smart idea to take roads with 25mph speed limits, it's not there to limit you, it's there to keep the cars around you moving at a safer pace that your bike can likely keep up with, and even if not it's better to have a car pass you at 5-10mph faster than you than 20-30mph. Do not ride moderate to hard turns on the side of the road, stick towards the middle so approaching cars have a chance to see you before they are on top of you.

Treat every intersection as though someone is going to blow through it as you are going through.

Thursday, April 19th 2018

Emergency crews responded to South 16th and Kentucky in Quincy Thursday morning to a reported accident.
According to Quincy Police, a vehicle struck a bicyclist.
The vehicle was traveling eastbound on Kentucky and the bicyclist was riding southbound on 16th Street.
The bicyclist, 61-year-old Clarence M. Seeland of Quincy, was on a motorized bike.
The driver of the vehicle, a 17-year-old female, failed to stop at the stop sign at 16th Street and hit the bike on the west side of the intersection and the bicyclist went onto the car windshield.
The intersection was blocked off as officials talked to the driver of the vehicle and took measurments and details from the crash scene.
The driver was issued a citation for Failure to Stop.
The bicyclist was taken to Blessing Hospital via an ambulance.
As of 4:20 p.m. on Thursday, Seeland is in the intensive care unit in critical condition.
The Quincy Police Department, Adams County EMS and Quincy Fire Department are on scene.

Treat every intersection as though someone is going to blow through it as you are going through.

Thursday, April 19th 2018

Emergency crews responded to South 16th and Kentucky in Quincy Thursday morning to a reported accident.
According to Quincy Police, a vehicle struck a bicyclist.
The vehicle was traveling eastbound on Kentucky and the bicyclist was riding southbound on 16th Street.
The bicyclist, 61-year-old Clarence M. Seeland of Quincy, was on a motorized bike.
The driver of the vehicle, a 17-year-old female, failed to stop at the stop sign at 16th Street and hit the bike on the west side of the intersection and the bicyclist went onto the car windshield.
The intersection was blocked off as officials talked to the driver of the vehicle and took measurments and details from the crash scene.
The driver was issued a citation for Failure to Stop.
The bicyclist was taken to Blessing Hospital via an ambulance.
As of 4:20 p.m. on Thursday, Seeland is in the intensive care unit in critical condition.
The Quincy Police Department, Adams County EMS and Quincy Fire Department are on scene.
Yep, I stop and look, or slow down if that's my only requirement. Still it doesn't mean anything, I've seen near collisions at lights where the cross traffic is red and even after a few cars have already passed through on our light people still don't see the light. Luckily the driver with our light saw it and stopped because while the other guy did skid to a halt he didn't stop until he was plain smack in the middle of the intersection. If the driver who had the green had been looking the wrong way at exactly the wrong moment both vehicles would have been toast.

Helmet helmet helmet... It's really your ONLY line of protection when s**t hits the fan should you be unlucky enough. Oh and still can't get past that day I pulled to the side of the road (10 seconds from turning the bike off and taking it into the yard) and had my front wheel land straight on top of a plastic dunkin donuts cup, since I was braking the wheel locked as soon as the friction vanished under it, the wheel went to the left and out from under me since plastic slides well on asphalt, and my head off to the right and directly onto the edge of the curb. Since I had my helmet on I felt it mostly in my knee and elbow, take that over a cracked skull any day.

Last edited:
Luckily the driver with our light saw it and stopped because while the other guy did skid to a halt he didn't stop until he was plain smack in the middle of the intersection.
Along with a good helmet a front strobe light is your friend!
I have seen drivers looking to pull out it front of me slam on their brakes when they see that strobe light hauling ass towards them.

And please, for you with a fast bike get brakes good enough to stop you at the speed you can ride.
Dual disc brakes are best but NEVER ride with one brake, especially just a coaster brake.

Along with a good helmet a front strobe light is your friend!
I have seen drivers looking to pull out it front of me slam on their brakes when they see that strobe light hauling ass towards them.

And please, for you with a fast bike get brakes good enough to stop you at the speed you can ride.
Dual disc brakes are best but NEVER ride with one brake, especially just a coaster brake.
I meant we had the green, cross traffic red.

Back