Motorized Bike Bulls**t: Things your builds do that piss you off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I say I worked my whole life for my tools? I mean it it was kind of an obsession!? Growing up couldn't afford a bike so I would garbage pick parts on my way home from school.
The only problem was all I had to work with was this GIGANTIC HUMUMGOUS BEAST OF A VICE. And a C-CLAMP.
SO,,,,,I would use my vice as one stationary wrench, then use the. C-CLAMP like a crescent wrench. Then I started to garbage pick a wrench here a screwdriver there. (OH I HAD A BIG-ASS HAMMER TOO!)
I made some kickasss bikes back then I even sold quite a few.

AHHHHHH TO BE A KID AGAIN,

All you have to do is look at common bike mirrors and they are loose or out of adjustment. The top lock nut on the threaded stem stud does not work for me. I was trying to remember how van mirrors back in the 70's managed to not have this problem and in the process changed the way my bike mirror attached to the way Dodge vans attached mirrors.

011.JPG

This mirror stem is attached to a small angle bracket to the handle bar by two wire clamps The stem has flat and lock washers and a nut on bottom. To those that think your life could depend on the mirror staying in adjustment, a fix like this is a must.

While on the subject of bike build bs, another problem is if I ride with long pants with cuffs at the bottom, the cuff will catch on a spur shape of the pedal chain guard, causing it to bend sideways preventing the pedal crank from turning. It's not like Schwinn started building bikes yesterday.

Another bike bs is taking a country ride and stopping at a biker watering hole and bellying up to the bar for a glass of beer that costs $3. A $3 beer may be fine for a fat boy Harley rider, but a thin motorized bike rider could use a $2 beer. Here is a pik of a nearby biker bar in far north Fox Lake, IL.

036.JPG

Here is a pik of a sign behind the bar:

037.JPG

Nice mirror rig, I made one out of aluminum flat stock. I put it in the fridge and grabbed it with a crescent wrench and twisted it to give an artistic effect, but it was really big and cumbersome little too wide for my little handlebars so I got these store made manufactured plastic crap ones and they work.
When I whacked my head on him with our backing my bike up or whatever else snags on them For the most part they are pretty flexible in bed then go back in the positions. But once in awhile they loosen up and go out of position and a half Loosening up with an allen wrench to straighten up and then tighten them up.

OK - this pi--d me off. I wanted a better little tool kit to hang on the back of my seat. - -Couldn't find a decent one, so made a nice one out of leather - embossed it with the bike name (AR), and some nice tool work.
It attached to the seat with a heavy duty snap fastener. - While working on the bike last winter, I must have loosened the fastener.
Went out for the first ride of the season - and - - it's gone.
I re-traced my route, and found - - only the blue rag I kept in it.
Someone got a nice hand-made leather tool kit, along with tools. - Guess they didn't want the rag. - - Hope their initials are "AR".

Someone told me to make a muffler gasket out of a cardboard box specificLy A cereal box , I took it one further and use the back of a picture frame.
You know the part that sticks behind the picture one side shiny and smooth the other side is rough. I used a Dremel tool to cut it out it works like a router bit That you can do plunge cut with. Very tricky you have to have a very steady hand.

BUT IT WORKS KICK-ASS!!!!!
Now only time will tell how long it lasts

I use RTV a lot of stuff like this, I take some Ultra copper and the little metal plate with pores inside the stock gasket since it's already falling apart I burn out the gasket material and use the bench grinder with a wire wheel to get out all the ash.

After that use a good amount on one side then put it on the engine studs and then on the muffler flange and bolt it on lightly just to hold it in place, with an hour and toure it up and done! A good old gasket for a good old boy!

OK - this pi--d me off. I wanted a better little tool kit to hang on the back of my seat. - -Couldn't find a decent one, so made a nice one out of leather - embossed it with the bike name (AR), and some nice tool work.
It attached to the seat with a heavy duty snap fastener. - While working on the bike last winter, I must have loosened the fastener.
Went out for the first ride of the season - and - - it's gone.
I re-traced my route, and found - - only the blue rag I kept in it.
Someone got a nice hand-made leather tool kit, along with tools. - Guess they didn't want the rag. - - Hope their initials are "AR".

I always have a bike old bag to carry stuff and my tools in the front pocket so I can not lose them, I used to keep them in a bag to keep them away from everything else, I may use that again now that I think about it since I have my basic toolkit down now.

You know that's a damn shame about your tool and leather bag I hope you get another one someday and I hope who took it falls into a sewer.

Here's something else that ticked me off. I have a Sick Bikes jackshaft kit on my bike, and I love it, but miss the engine braking on trailing throttle (due to the chain-ring freewheel.
I figured I had the answer - just dis-able the cassette freewheel. Accordingly, I took it apart and welded it up. - - Great idea until you let off the throttle. There's too much inertia in the drivetrain, and - the chain piles up causing all sorts of fun. - - Guess I'll have to live without the engine braking.

I too use the Ultra Copper. I find it works well for sealing up the intake tract too.

I like to use it for the whole engine if gaskets are not available or I want to beef them up a bit. I like to do the intake outtake and the head by adding some to the top and bottom of the aluminum gasket, it really helps with head leaks now it's no longer a problem, but I do have crankcase leaks from my bolts coming loose I have to tighten them up all the damn time, I;ve had to use 12.9 grade hex socket top bolts to keep them from snapping.

Here's something else that ticked me off. I have a Sick Bikes jackshaft kit on my bike, and I love it, but miss the engine braking on trailing throttle (due to the chain-ring freewheel.
I figured I had the answer - just dis-able the cassette freewheel. Accordingly, I took it apart and welded it up. - - Great idea until you let off the throttle. There's too much inertia in the drivetrain, and - the chain piles up causing all sorts of fun. - - Guess I'll have to live without the engine braking.

On my bike I got one speed go. I can't have the derailers on my bike so I am stuck in 10th gear forever but it's just the right gear for getting going and helping it along if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back