Motorized Bike Bulls**t: Things your builds do that piss you off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice post. mine would be breaking a chain without chain breaker tool and with hammer and screw driver only. lol :p

I think what's worse is when you make a mistake and have to put the pin back in. I have never been able to do it and I'm sure it's impossible with out some kind of re-linking tool.

Any cheap chain breaker will work I just use one for bikes since it can take small and large chain sizes.

I have a tendency to destroy axles. that's the only consistent problem I have but it has more to do with riding style than anything else.

My first build had a bend axle due to the way I mounted the motor, over time it got more bent out of shape.

I am a good mechanic, but I have my issues.
I really can't work on anything for very long without giving it a thorough cursing!

Everything takes longer than I think it will. And somehow, my tools have a way of eluding me. I can use a wrench, change to a screwdriver, then go back to the wrench - GONE! Can't find it. Don't see it. I didn't move but it's GONE! Five minutes later - and after some rich cussing! - the wrench is behind me. Grrrr.

These little two strokes are so finicky - they never wanna start the same way. Sometimes choke works - other times not so much. Some days, the thing revs up fast and it's smoking - some days it seems sluggish. WTF?

And my hands. My poor hands! Sometimes just looking at the bike and they are filthy with lines of black under the ends of the nails. Oil gets everywhere. Even locking the bike and funk gets on my hands. Ugh.

I cuss. A lot.

Timbone

I love to ride them when they work right. Every god dam time I do any work I have the same problem, s**t just disappears and then the next thing goes missing. I'm glad I am not the only one.

I agree these engines are to finicky, they are tinker toys that never work right but are good to learn with. One day s**t work great like you said the next it something else gone wrong. f*** I wish there was a higher quality engine maybe a Japanese made would be good.

My house and hand are covered in black spots in odd places, the best thing for it is Fast Orange hand soap. It really gets your hands clean real good.

Also I am constantly swearing about stupid s**t my bike dose. I know how you feel.

Is this your first build?
And did you start with the cheapest bike and kit you could get?

Either will screw ya bud, both insures a problem child, and if you are a Rookie, well that is another factor as the first build is always the hardest.

Rest assured a good kit on a good bike can run for thousands of miles with medium maintenance.
Heck, I have 45 of them out http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=2-stroke&Drive=No
And that is just the stock kit builds.

In short, not everyone has your problems but I'll bet many others do ;-}

By far this is not my first build I've done many engine rebuilds but in short I am just getting a little tired of these engine problems. I did how ever have one very good kit but almost all of them I have owned are problem causers.

I will get around to a new kit but for not I have to deal with the parts I have.

I'd like to get a complete copper gasket set, they sell them over are Juice Moto Parts but I can reach the site so I can't post a link to it.
the site has been down for a while, I think they might be out of business

My bike gives perfect reliability all day, every day, but it's been engineered with the finest parts in the SickBikeParts shift kit product range.
It uses 9 speed chain on an 8 speed system to eliminate torque induced ghost shifts, and uses a stabilised final drive alignment system.

I cannot afford my bike to be unreliable, so it's been engineered to provide exemplary reliability.

http://motoredbikes.com/threads/australian-heavy-haul-may-2016.47426/

i agree with crassius. if you use better quality parts to start with and properly adjust them you will have few if any problems with parts breaking or striping. if your stripping bolts and threads it means your over tightening them in the first place. i bought a used bike from my local bike shop for ten dollars about 20 years ago. now this bike was incomplete so i got it cheap but had most of the parts i needed here at home and ended up with a $40.10 bike that to this day runs great even motorized. to those who are getting into motorizing your bike be smart and have someone who is good at building wheels go through it and properly tension the spokes and clean and regrease the hubs. it is vitally important to adjust them properly and lock the nuts down to each other and not to the bearings this will get you a long way in your future riding. also ditch those heavy steel hubs, it is Pure B.S. that they are better than aluminum. the steel gets hot and stays hot whereas the aluminum dissipates the heat as you ride. i've ridden mine about 4 miles WOT then jumped off and touched the hub with my bare finger and found them to be barely warm to the touch. proper adjustments will do that not steel hubs and rims. lighter is better and by no means do i mean the most expensive out there. my rims and hubs were low end at the time they were sold on bikes at bike shops not walmart or kmart.

I think your missing the point I was trying to make and that's these engines while fun as a hobby are simply built poorly and that is a real shame because I really like them a whole lot.

The only things I ever seem to strip are on the engine but this is not so common for me I just really get annoyed when I go from an old Engine with many years on it to a newer one and everything strips and breaks with the same force I have always used.

I agree that aluminum rims are very good I have a pair of shimano rims I just recently got from a parts bike that I've of coarse cleaned and regreased the bearings.

They are also a lot lighter giving you better handling and speed.

The only problem I have is the constant a just of the head nuts. (175).ebry 40 miles. The blue tread lock don't do nothing

I also find this to be a constant annoyance, try red hi temp Threadlocker or permanent strength is may stop them from coming loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back