motorized bike business?

bike4life

Local time
2:41 PM
Any of u folks actually have a motor bike business as a full time job? How did u start it, was it out of your garage, storefront?How many people actually buy them like per week? How did you get your business off the ground, get ppl to hear bout it. Thx, just wondering b/c I live close to the city and I feel like it would be like wild fire especially for commuters.

Any of u folks actually have a motor bike business as a full time job? How did u start it, was it out of your garage, storefront?How many people actually buy them like per week? How did you get your business off the ground, get ppl to hear bout it. Thx, just wondering b/c I live close to the city and I feel like it would be like wild fire especially for commuters.
This is what I do for a living,and I live in an area with 10 million people and still have to do other types of bikes and equipment to survive.I have a small engines mechanic cert and so take in scooters,mopeds,dirtbikes,pocket bikes,and do alot of powered tools lawnmowers,chainsaws,line trimers,quick cuts,blowers you name it!This get's me through the periods that are slow for the bikes.I started in my basement and eventualy moved into a shop/store front I'm not a vendor whom just sells parts and kits,but rather a full service tech that does some custom builds along with engine mods,rebuilds and such.I placed ad's on kijiji for free to advertise and have a FB page that brings in some work and gets the name out there.There has been times that have had me put out 2 a day but more often it's like 1 or 2 a week in season and repairs and custom builds in the off season and that's when I get to do my own stuff.I wouldn't make it without all the other service work from the local landscapers and a few pawn shops that have me service their equipment before they resell it!I've been doing this for years now and am just now getting more custom engine builds for the bikes it takes awhile for this crowd to accept an engine builder as valid and be willing to give up their hard earned cash!

I'm just starting to sell bikes. They are all word of mouth at this point. Think I would rather sell kits and performance parts online. Hate building stock bikes.

If I had to rely on these bikes for my sole income I would be selling them from a shopping cart on the sidewalk. In my town and the 2 nearest towns their is a combined population of 160,000 so their is just not enough people to make it work.

If I had to rely on these bikes for my sole income I would be selling them from a shopping cart on the sidewalk. In my town and the 2 nearest towns their is a combined population of 160,000 so their is just not enough people to make it work.
Ok. I live pretty 50mi to nyc, so if I was to actually open one up in the city, I would have a lot of ppl/foot traffic.

Ok. I live pretty 50mi to nyc, so if I was to actually open one up in the city, I would have a lot of ppl/foot traffic.
Your going to face the same issue as me in that the bikes are not legal in N.Y. state and that seriously reduces the market size vs population,It's not legal here etheir so the amount of folks that could use them vs those whom actualy will is vastly different.

Last edited:
Your going to face the same issue as me in that the bikes are not legal in N.Y. state and that seriously reduces the market size vs population,It's not legal here etheir so the the amount of folks that could use them vs those whom actualy will is vastly different.
Yeah I hear ya. I thought they were legal as long as it’s was less than 50cc and u had a license.

If there not legal on the road in your area Label them and inform people there for off-road use only for legal reasons to cover your ass

If there not legal on the road in your area Label them and inform people there for off-road use only for legal reasons to cover your ass
I have a liability wavier that all customers sign! All the people whom use these are aware of the risk they assume if ridden on the street.

Back