Motorized Bike for person unable to get any driver's license

S

stepcg6

Really quickly, my girlfriend is legally blind. She can see, however not well enough to pass the vision exam required for any type of license. Currently, she commutes by regular bicycle or by the bus. Also, we live in Los Angeles, CA.

I looked up motorized bicycle laws and found this, which I'm sure has been stated many times:

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC Sec.406(b), you: Must be 16 years of age or older. Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet. Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements.

This leads me to believe as long as I meet the requirements of 406b, hopefully getting her a 49cc motorized bicycle, she can legally commute even without any type of license.

Am I correct on this? If not, is there another type of vehicle you might suggest that I investigate for her?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't lived in CA for a few decades, but I think gas assisted bikes require tag and insurance. An insurance company probably will not carry an unlicensed driver.
You may have better success with an ebike if they do not require tag and insurance in CA. Good luck. A gas goped is another possibility for motorized transportation.

Back