Motorized Bike for person unable to get any driver's license

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by stepcg6, Apr 17, 2013.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. stepcg6

    stepcg6 Guest

    Really quickly, my girlfriend is legally blind. She can see, however not well enough to pass the vision exam required for any type of license. Currently, she commutes by regular bicycle or by the bus. Also, we live in Los Angeles, CA.

    I looked up motorized bicycle laws and found this, which I'm sure has been stated many times:

    If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC Sec.406(b), you: Must be 16 years of age or older. Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet. Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements.

    This leads me to believe as long as I meet the requirements of 406b, hopefully getting her a 49cc motorized bicycle, she can legally commute even without any type of license.

    Am I correct on this? If not, is there another type of vehicle you might suggest that I investigate for her?

    Thank you so much!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015

  2. wheelbender6

    wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

    I haven't lived in CA for a few decades, but I think gas assisted bikes require tag and insurance. An insurance company probably will not carry an unlicensed driver.
    You may have better success with an ebike if they do not require tag and insurance in CA. Good luck. A gas goped is another possibility for motorized transportation.
  3. BigBlue

    BigBlue Active Member

    Section 406(b) refers to electric scooters/mopeds/bicycles and not gasoline powered engines. To be legal with a gasoline engine, you need a M1 or M2 license.

    An electric powered bicycle or kit might fit the bill:) Just don't buy a cheap one.

    Good Luck,

    AKA: BigBlue
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013