Motorized Bike Laws aren't strict in Chicago.

K

Kenneth Dean

From my own experience, the police don't care about motorized bicycles in the suburbs of Chicago. Most laws in Illinois say anything over 49cc without a pedal assist and over 20mph is considered a moped. I'm 14 without a license or any sort of registration in hand.. even better, I drive around a 212cc motorized bike with turn signals and a front light. The reason I say that the police don't care is because I'm following simple traffic laws, i'm not being stupid when it comes to riding a machine like this. I have a pal I ride with and we have passed dozens of police cars, half of them don't seem to care.. the other half will take a second look but then forget about it.

Well, if you want to spend $$$, you can buy it for $500. Which is pretty pricey considering my budget. The build cost is around $200 + bike of your choice [free].

In pa they say the same thing about it except you have to register as a moped the 49cc thing too. If you live in a country area there's usually few cops but of course if you go into a town there's always gonna be cops. Got my stainless bolts today for my big bore engine build and the head studs are coming tomorrow. I wanted to make a road legal bike but it would be slow 25 mph is the limit for mopeds. It would take twice as long to get to work. If you have a bike that goes 40 you can get to work in normal time.

In pa they say the same thing about it except you have to register as a moped the 49cc thing too. If you live in a country area there's usually few cops but of course if you go into a town there's always gonna be cops. Got my stainless bolts today for my big bore engine build and the head studs are coming tomorrow. I wanted to make a road legal bike but it would be slow 25 mph is the limit for mopeds. It would take twice as long to get to work. If you have a bike that goes 40 you can get to work in normal time.
How would you restrict the top speed? Would you put a restrictive plate under the exhaust flange? If so it would be easy to deristrict when you travel to more liberal states. :D

Certain states have laws with 35cc's being the upper displacement limit for legal road use without a motorcycle endorsement and plate/insurance.

CA and OR are two that I know of. But from what I've heard that even the China Girl engines get a pass in Oregon because the 48 cc engines are somewhat RPM limited and don't go much faster than 25 mph. Auto clutches and <18mph cruise speed are required for motor assisted bikes which fall into the same category of gas engine motopeds/scooters which are also legal to use on the road with the same restrictions.

I don't know how much longer this turning a blind eye to the displacement of the CG engine kits will last.